Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2007, 02:37 PM

Default Best RTS out for pc or ps2???

Is there any good 1s out at the mo for either?

Since A03 nothing looks much good and i havent seen any new ones.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: Best RTS out for pc or ps2???

ATM: Broodwar.
In a year or so: SC2 (hopefully).
Old 07-23-2007, 05:05 PM

I am an old SC junky and am seriously into company of heroes. The gameplay heavily emphasises micro with accurate physics, and cover being major players etc and a lot of r/p/s type action. There isnt really a spam element which i like and every unit(squad) must be safeguarded, retreated and repleneshed to survive. The game is won or lost usually by map control, not base destruction. Games last 15-45 min, no rush element really, steep learning curve with lots of advanced tactics.

The drawback is you can only play Axis vs Allies at the moment. However, that will change in a few months or so with 2 more races. The graphics are friggin sweet too. PM me if you get it and want to play.

-JP
Old 07-24-2007, 01:38 PM

CoH was an awesome game, kept me amused for like 4 months.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:41 PM

Tx man... Ill probably try that... Was thinking of gettin Command and conquer 3 aswell.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:23 AM

ATM there's only one real RTStrategy : Supreme Commander. Others are tactical games.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:33 AM

Supreme Commander = all kinds of awesome.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:03 PM

Supreme Commander is an unbalanced piece of garbage. Or at least it was at release.

OP: I'll echo the COH love. Also C&C 3 is good.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am an old SC junky and am seriously into company of heroes. The gameplay heavily emphasises micro with accurate physics, and cover being major players etc and a lot of r/p/s type action. There isnt really a spam element which i like and every unit(squad) must be safeguarded, retreated and repleneshed to survive. The game is won or lost usually by map control, not base destruction. Games last 15-45 min, no rush element really, steep learning curve with lots of advanced tactics.

The drawback is you can only play Axis vs Allies at the moment. However, that will change in a few months or so with 2 more races. The graphics are friggin sweet too. PM me if you get it and want to play.

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed that COH is fantastic. They're coming out with an expansion soon too, IIRC, that has another side -- Brits, I think?

Agreed that not being able to freely mix and match is unfortunate.

TSNcentral used to be a great place to get commented gameplay videos that were extremely instructive and often entertaining, but they appear to have gone belly up, or at least are out of commission for the past few weeks.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:18 PM

Take claims of unbalance with a grain of salt, because actively maintained games are always getting patches to change things around. Plus, as an ex-player of MMORPG's as well as many RTS's, it's clear that EVERY player of every side will claim imbalance no matter what the balance of the game is. Sometimes it's as simple as a guy not liking rushing that prompts the "blame the game" syndrome.

I got Supreme Commander and it is extremely slow on my computer, so I don't even play it. This despite the fact that I was one of the biggest fans there was of Total Annihilation, probably, and have been waiting for the sequel in white hot anticipation for ages. My computer is far from the bottom of the line, too.

C&C 3 is quite fun offline, but I got distracted from the game and never tried it online. I will say that the online interface for patches and matches and especially getting games and commented games sorted out was very cumbersome and sloppy even after multiple patches.