Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2007, 04:21 PM

Default 3 overbet bluffs

Hey dudes, my first time posting in this forum. I recently made the transition into NL after grinding limit for years.

I play more hands than a lot of the nits full game. This hand I hadn't yet got out of line and no one had seen me overbet yet. I play a 20/13 pretty aggressive style. He thought for a while on the flop, I felt it was very likely he only had a T.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($163.05)
UTG ($771.25)
UTG+1 ($380.60)
MP1 ($600)
Enon ($546)
CO ($455.95)
Button ($944.85)
SB ($1172.70)

Preflop: Enon is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Enon raises to $24</font>, CO calls $24, Button calls $24, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($81) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Enon bets $66</font>, CO calls $66, Button folds.

Turn: ($213) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Enon checks, CO checks.

River: ($213) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Enon bets $400</font>

Hadn't got out of line yet but player seemed good enough to take a call call fold line with only a J. I felt confident enough he didn't have a K since he didn't pop turn:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($597)
Enon ($715)
BB ($400)
UTG ($691.55)
MP ($685.50)

Preflop: Enon is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Enon raises to $18</font>, BB calls $12.

Flop: ($36) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Enon bets $24</font>, BB calls $24.

Turn: ($84) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Enon bets $60</font>, BB calls $60.

River: ($204) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Enon bets $300</font>

Villain in this hand was unknown to me at the time. Sometimes I check behind the turn but my limit tendency it to just keep the pressure on. On river I was pretty confident he had a K that he wouldn't mind calling another 3/4 - pot bet with so I put him to the test [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $6 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP ($591.15)
Enon ($911.60)
Button ($159)
SB ($594)
BB ($653.80)
UTG ($304.20)

Preflop: Enon is CO with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Enon raises to $24</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $18.

Flop: ($51) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Enon bets $36</font>, BB calls $36.

Turn: ($123) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Enon bets $100</font>, BB calls $100.

River: ($323) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Enon bets $500</font>
Old 03-10-2007, 04:35 PM

Default Re: 3 overbet bluffs

You sir, are crazy.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:58 PM

hand 1. i prefer c/r ai but I guess this works
hand 2. i would just bet 150
hand 3. if you shoved river i like a lot
Old 03-10-2007, 07:22 PM

Hand 1: I like second barrel on the turn, follow up on your strength from previous streets, pretty hard for him to continue with a ten given you are so clearly representing a better hand, especially at full ring where people dont want to get stacked in these situations and people dont follow up on their aggression enough, making your line even more legitimate-looking.

Hand 2: I mean, you don't think he has a K, so you're winning the pot unless he has JdXd. I'm not sure you need to overbet as you did to accomplish your goal vs the targetted range, though.

Hand 3: His range for K's is KJ KQ and slowplayed AK that obv snapcalls you here (we also cut into KJ and KQ combos with our holding though), turn and riv changed nothing board-wise, his hand is relatively strong even if it only beats a bluff at this point, if you were to bluff you would likely do it in this fashion and he can convince himself he induced it, and there are a good amount of people in the stars 3/6 game that are willing to bet bet shove a wider range in these situations, so that the likelyhood of him being willing to stack off with KQ/KJ hands goes up. Ultimately its up to you to decide whether this guy is going to call call fold enough with that targetted range for your bluff to work. If you ARE to bluff, this is the right way to go about it.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:42 PM

Hand 1 you are repping a narrow range but villain's hand is pretty transparent, he'll probably fold a T expecting you to have missed your turn c/r.

hand2 I don't think you need to bet so much, and your bet is suspicious because if you had a bare K you wouldn't be overbetting the flop with a bd flush hitting (that he could have because Jxs), so you are repping JJ/KK/KJ which is a realllly narrow range. That said I don't think he has enough hand to call you most times (this obv inculeds worse hands that are draws).

hand3 this is what I do to stack ppl when i have a set, it works pretty well that way.

Surf
Old 03-10-2007, 08:00 PM

hand 1: meh. there are better boards for this. on this one it's hard to believe that you wouldn't just bet the turn and shove the river. it probably works pretty often but i think it's bad poker since it's just inconsistent with your play. i can't imagine you'd ever shove this river with a flush since his hand LOOKS marginal. i should note that i like 400 better than 150 though, but i like checking more than both

also figure most of his T hands are suited because of preflop, so there's about a 1/3 chance he has spades. there's a chance he slowplayed TT, 99, or 55.

hand 2: i don't think he folds a K (and you underestimate the chances that he has one), and J with diamonds is possible. and i don't think a J needs the overbet to fold. he'd be facing a tough decision for 3/4 pot.

he could have some draws that he might bet if you check which costs you by not betting, so that's a plus for betting. i don't like it though. i'd just give up on the turn unless he's a known floater

hand 3: this is good (OCCASIONALLY)
Old 03-11-2007, 03:26 PM

Default ***results***

Hand 1: This is the overbet I like least. Checkraise river all in if he bets small was a good suggestion or betting close to 3/4 pot on river. Dunno if I should just give up. He instacalled with 99 obv.

Hand 2: Opponent only had 300 left with 200 pot on river, not sure if 180 or so is better than 300 on river. I felt this river was a must bet and still do. He thought for a good while and folded.

Hand 3: I didn't have a read for the last hand and should have since I later learned he was a big fish who stacked off easily. Even being this kind of opponent, he still took a long time to call with KJo. Bah. Next time I'm going to have a read before I bluff off 500 on the river. I feel this is a spot where the overbet is better than just a pot bet but giving up probably better.