Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Wife offers deal

[ QUOTE ]
Trust me, this is a horrible idea. Just have your own Poker bankroll. If the two of you aren't comfortable with it, then don't have a poker bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right on Nez. This is what my wife and I do. But if I cash it out to quit being part of the BR, it is our money, not just mine.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:05 PM

Wow, I thought I was whipped, this makes me feel better.

Also, for anyone who's married, I'd advise using 3 checking accounts, a joint one for bills and such, and separate accounts for each of you for your own stuff. It's not so much that you have your "own" money, or that you're trying to hide purchases you make, it's just that a lot of trouble can be avoided if you aren't pouring over every little purchase that the other person makes.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:23 PM

I shoulda been more clear on our finances (the marriage is fine, smartasses). I make 3x what she does and pay most expenses/bills. We're more than comfortable and poker is my only real hobby. I make about 15k a year(net)playing tournys. That being said, my bankroll management sucks and I'm sometimes stuck playing the $40 and $50 tournys as opposed to the $150 and $250's. My thought is to accept the deal as a supplemental BR outside of the one I "maintain" on my own. I like the idea as it creates a partnership and by extension, establishes a vested interest in my success, but I worry that by playing with her money, at those buy-ins, will in the longterm lower my yearly ROI.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:27 PM

wow if this sort of thing ever happens to me somebody punch me in the face
Old 11-02-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow if this sort of thing ever happens to me somebody punch me in the face

[/ QUOTE ]

you have my word [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2007, 04:33 PM

You should negotiate a better deal, how much is 1K going to help when you're trying to play $150-$200 MTT's? Tell her you'll take 5K at a 40-60% split in your favor, or the 1K at a 20-80% split. Basically you should low-ball the [censored] out of her, and if she isn't interested no big deal, this isn't a great deal for you anyway.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, for anyone who's married, I'd advise using 3 checking accounts, a joint one for bills and such, and separate accounts for each of you for your own stuff. It's not so much that you have your "own" money, or that you're trying to hide purchases you make, it's just that a lot of trouble can be avoided if you aren't pouring over every little purchase that the other person makes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-02-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the idea as it creates a partnership and by extension, establishes a vested interest in my success, but I worry that by playing with her money, at those buy-ins, will in the longterm lower my yearly ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should suggest also that you two only get to have sex on the nights when you finish ITM, and that will create even more vested interest and more motivation on your side. And when you go busto, she might even extend your credit/"bankroll", cause she has needs too.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like the idea as it creates a partnership and by extension, establishes a vested interest in my success, but I worry that by playing with her money, at those buy-ins, will in the longterm lower my yearly ROI.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should suggest also that you two only get to have sex on the nights when you finish ITM, and that will create even more vested interest and more motivation on your side. And when you go busto, she might even extend your credit/"bankroll", cause she has needs too.

[/ QUOTE ]

tell her if you finish ITM, then you get to finish IHM.

and Dunkman is right, 3 separate accounts is 100% the way to go.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd advise against this advice and make all fiscal decisions together. But I know others like it this way better.