Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 08-01-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Getting Old Computer Games To Work

I recently gave in to a nostalgic urge and bought Warlords III: Reign of Heroes, an old computer game. Well, it was designed for Windows 95, and when I try and run it on my computer it always freezes within 3 minutes.

Is there any software that helps these old games run on Windows XP?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:17 AM

Default Re: Getting Old Computer Games To Work

For windows 95 programs, when running in XP, you can right click on exe file --> properties. Then go to compatibility tab. Look at compatibility mode section & mess around with that. First try Win 95.

Maybe this will help.... Have you already tried this?
Old 08-02-2007, 12:23 AM

I know of one Windows 95/DOS game that won't work in XP unless you disable sound. To do that you have to right click on the .exe and hit properties. Find the field that says CMD Line: "C:\Program Files\Yourgame\game.exe" and add a /n after the quotation marks. No idea if that works or not, but it's worth a shot.

It should look like this:
Cmd line: "C:\Program Files\Yourgame\game.exe" /n

EDIT: Nevermind, here (from wikipedia)

Changes to the Microsoft operating system introduced with Windows XP technology did not allow DLR to run. UBI could not locate this problem even up to 2002 and no support was offered on this issue. Fans however have targeted the problem. The cursor controlling software jams the programs operation. To fix this issue, right-click the desktop or start menu shortcut, go to properties dialogue box from the menu that appears, and change the target to "c:\(your Darklords folder)\darklord.exe" /WINCURSOR. This will replace the problematic color cursors with functional, black and white ones.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...To fix this issue, right-click the desktop or start menu shortcut, go to properties dialogue box from the menu that appears, and change the target to "c:\(your Darklords folder)\darklord.exe" /WINCURSOR. This will replace the problematic color cursors with functional, black and white ones.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm trying this, but I can't get it to replace the cursor. The problem still occurs, but that the cursor doesn't change makes me think I'm not doing it correctly. After changing the target, it reads - "C:\Program Files\Red Orb Entertainment\Warlords III\war3.exe" /WINCURSOR - (I'm not running the Dark Lords Rising expansion pack, just the original Warlords III). FWIW, I also tried adding /n at the end, but it didn't turn off the sound.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:57 PM

For DOS games, use DOSBox. It is free and works really well.