Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 08:28 AM

Default Re: $16s - 15/30, AKs flops flush draw against short stack

[ QUOTE ]
never check that flop! last thing you want to do is lose to pp 7s or some crap like that. if you're gona built a pot than you need to put your FE in higher gear.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that there is a 4th and 5th card yet to come, right?
Old 06-02-2007, 08:52 AM

Kev

There is 2 options open to you here. You can check behind or play it as you did.
If UTG+1 is a winning type player I would check behind. His Pre flop action suggest a small/middle PP in general.

If he is one of these see every flop, then as you played it is fine.

I am not really concerned with CO here cause he is a see every flop with ATC.

Readless I do not think that there is much difference between checking behind and c-betting here with the nut flush draw.

For the poster that said call please never ever ever call this spot.
Old 06-02-2007, 08:53 AM

I check the flop. I don't mind getting all my chips in the middle, but if I do it with a drawing hand I want some so FE so I can win a few pots without showdown. So if you check you can see the action and check/call or CRAI depending on the aciton.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming that you are "hero" here. The initial raise wasn't bad, though a small pair had you beat. 5xBB isn't irrational for AKs. But when you bet the 375 and UTG 1 raises to 780, the correct thing to do here is call the 780. The reason is, while he doesn't have the nuts (he didn't go all-in on the raise), he definitely probably does have something at the $16 level, probably something like the AQo or A/8. Either way, he's willing to bet half his stack on it. You don't have ANYTHING, though, and so you should just call him. If the turn is not a diamond and he goes all-in, you do not have the pot-odds to call. It really becomes a game of pot-odds on the turn depending on his bet. If you do get the diamond, it almost always pays to "check" anyway. Slow-play the guy, and he'll usually go all-in. If not, call him all-in after the river assuming an unpaired board (full house possibility). You can take advantage of him maximally this way, you will be way up in the tournament.

I've worked my way up in P'Stars now, and this is just an idea, but it's an idea that works. Take your time, think about it carefully before you call, and if the bad beat comes...you HAVE to maintain your confidence. I hope this helps. Take care.

Cameron

[/ QUOTE ]

this has to be a gimmick acct.....solid.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:29 PM

if i'm gonna c-bet this, i only make it around 275, cuz if you get miraised back (which happens a lot), you have quite a bit more fe when you repush. also, you get to see 2 cards often with one bet.
Old 06-02-2007, 01:25 PM

Right; do not check the flop, Kevin, but do not go all in. Make it painful for the other players to see the next card, and I'm not saying you have to have a MADE hand, but you need to have somewhat of a hand in order to justify all in.

You're in the early rounds of a SnG. The blinds aren't killing you. You're looking for a good hand to make some money. Raise that thing 6xBB or something, but tight-aggressive play in the early blind rounds is how you make it to the later blind rounds and win the game, loosening up later on. Take care.

Cameron
Old 06-02-2007, 01:27 PM

This is the easiest flop bet ever. I might just shove, but it kind of turns your hand face up. You take the pot down uncontested too often to check back here.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:16 PM

I think you have to mix it up--personally, i like both lines, checking behind and 3-betting it the way you did. I would check behind maybe 20% of the time though, and play it the way you did the other 80%. A lot of times you're going to take the pot down right then and there, and that's cool, and if someone shoves you have a crapload of outs, so that's cool too. Nicely played IMO.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if i'm gonna c-bet this, i only make it around 275, cuz if you get miraised back (which happens a lot), you have quite a bit more fe when you repush. also, you get to see 2 cards often with one bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking a smaller bet on the flop might be in order too. I like betting because if you are not raised you either take it down right there or you may get the "free card." With so many outs you really want to see the river; since you miss the turn more often than not, I would prefer betting the flop than checking and then having to call a turn bet or fold. The other issue is that if you do hit the turn it will be a scare card and you may not get paid off, so raising all in on the flop is not bad at all with all the outs you have, even with little FE.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:44 PM

Hmm a smaller bet then 275 is seen as cannon food on the 16s,u will likely get a caller then which puts u in a awkward spot.