Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you sell the method?
Yes 27 40.91%
No 39 59.09%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-24-2007, 01:31 AM

Default Re: College Football Week 13

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Of course an undefeated Hawaii is in... but there is WAY too much room for additional confusion for me to take a stab at the full BCS picture yet. There is only one BCS conference I feel confident picking a winner in right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

and which one is it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I feel relatively confident predicting that Ohio State will win the Big Ten.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats not really a prediction. i was more or less talking about the conferences that have championship games yet to be played. you angle shot me.

[/ QUOTE ]
It was precisely what I meant by the original post. Angle? Perhaps. But there's a reason I said only one, and I did mean out of the six.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
btw, how [censored] sweet would it be to go to school at hawaii? or not at all?

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally I think it would suck. All those beaches, the sun, the tourists, being trapped on an island, none of it sounds appealing. I'll happily stay in the Pacific Northwest with my clouds, rain, quiet, and access to a continent, thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]
i was out there exactly 2 years ago. a jar of saurkraut was going for $8 at a waikiki grocery store, crappy houses going for 1/2 mil. don't know how the average person gets by
Old 11-24-2007, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think WVU is a more impressive one loss team than OSU.

[/ QUOTE ]

osu lost has a better loss (ill vs sflo) and beat more decent teams. kinda baffled wvu is ranked higher really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill is not 7-8 points better than Sflo, that statement is ridiculous, even without factoring injuries. They have more better wins RIGHT NOW but WVU still has two games left.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh, i never said they were 7-8 pts better or even that they were significantly omglolsuperduper better. ill is ranked 18. usf isnt in the top 25. seems better to me, but, as jaredl pointed out, usf is ranked higher by sagarin.

as for wvus remaining games pitt is fairly worthless. uconn is decent so it will come down to beating rutgers, cinci, uconn vs beating psu, wisc, mich.

after looking at sagarin it looks very close but going by the polls osu looks clearly superior.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think WVU is a more impressive one loss team than OSU.

[/ QUOTE ]

osu lost has a better loss (ill vs sflo) and beat more decent teams. kinda baffled wvu is ranked higher really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ill is not 7-8 points better than Sflo, that statement is ridiculous, even without factoring injuries. They have more better wins RIGHT NOW but WVU still has two games left.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh, i never said they were 7-8 pts better or even that they were significantly omglolsuperduper better. ill is ranked 18. usf isnt in the top 25. seems better to me, but, as jaredl pointed out, usf is ranked higher by sagarin.

as for wvus remaining games pitt is fairly worthless. uconn is decent so it will come down to beating rutgers, cinci, uconn vs beating psu, wisc, mich.

after looking at sagarin it looks very close but going by the polls osu looks clearly superior.

[/ QUOTE ]

7-8 points was a generous margin I assigned after actually looking where the games were played. I would realistically say more like 9.

Also beating Pitt is fairly similar to beating MSU.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:42 AM

Just for fun, I'll pull this out of my ass:

NC: Kansas/Missouri winner v. WV
Rose: OSU v. Oregon
Sugar: SEC winner v. Hawaii
Orange: VT/BC v. Tenn/Georgia (not LSU)
Fiesta: Kansas/Missouri loser v. USC

The guy above me forgot that Oregon is leading the Pac 10 ATM. Hawaii winning tonight kills Illinois.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
btw, how [censored] sweet would it be to go to school at hawaii? or not at all?

[/ QUOTE ]
Personally I think it would suck. All those beaches, the sun, the tourists, being trapped on an island, none of it sounds appealing. I'll happily stay in the Pacific Northwest with my clouds, rain, quiet, and access to a continent, thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are still trapped on an island and anytime you leave traveling would be a bitch and traveling to your schools road games would get pretty expensive. i think it still would be pretty cool though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than driving by campus, I haven't been to UH. I have spent a lot of time in Hawai'i since my wife is from there (Windward O'ahu near the North Shore). I really like the relaxed feel. It doesn't feel like everyone is in a hurry like a lot of places (I'm guessing Kansas isn't one of them though [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ). It suits me just fine.

From what I know about UH, it's largely a commuter school. If you aren't from there that would be a pretty big drag. I guess most weekends there aren't a lot of students around since so many go home or still live there. For sports based only on my impression from being there and the 30 or so people I know, 99% of whom are some sort of in-laws, volleyball is significantly more important to people than football.

As for Bob's comments, the sun is a pain in the ass since you have to wear sunscreen all the time. Depending on where you are it is also regularly hotter than a lot of people like. For some this is fine, say people in Southern California. As a fellow Oregonian I can certainly see where you're coming from that even though the weather is often what many would consider perfect it isn't optimal. The tourists aren't so bad because they tend to all be in tourist spots. It would suck if you lived anywhere near Waikiki or had to go through there regularly. The rock fever thing I don't know too much about. My longest stint there was about a month and a half when I got married and I never felt claustrophobic or whatever. I think that's something that would really bother some people and others not at all though.

As for all those beaches I don't really get this criticism. If you went to UH you would live in Manoa or somewhere else in Honolulu which isn't New York but is a city. You can certainly go the beach if you want but it's not like you have no choice in the matter. It's like saying being at the U of O would suck because of all those mountains and buttes.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:48 AM

If LSU loses the SEC title game the Sugar Bowl has to take the winner, right?

I'm sure they would rather take LSU.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:50 AM

Sugar Bowl is tied into the SEC winner. I doubt they would be thrilled with a 3 loss LSU team that lost its last 2.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
iron- Only two teams are allowed per conference. LSU and UGA look like those two teams right now

[/ QUOTE ]
Generally, the loser of the SEC championship does NOT get the 2nd bid. (ie. ARK and LSU previous years). UF should most likely be in the discussion of BCS at large.

actually, i forgot that utenn leads the east (ugh). so yeah, UGA probably will get it if Utenn goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that happens to LSU then that will be one of the biggest falls in two games ever. From #1 to out of the BCS in two two games. Michigan at the beginning went from #5 to pretty much guaranteed to have a bad season, which I guess is up there as well.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
iron- Only two teams are allowed per conference. LSU and UGA look like those two teams right now

[/ QUOTE ]
Generally, the loser of the SEC championship does NOT get the 2nd bid. (ie. ARK and LSU previous years). UF should most likely be in the discussion of BCS at large.

actually, i forgot that utenn leads the east (ugh). so yeah, UGA probably will get it if Utenn goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

If that happens to LSU then that will be one of the biggest falls in two games ever. From #1 to out of the BCS in two two games. Michigan at the beginning went from #5 to pretty much guaranteed to have a bad season, which I guess is up there as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is topping Kstate's one game and then bowl game tumble.