Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Playing Professional, Tunica.

[ QUOTE ]

Tunica is cursed
And don't worry Brad, I never bluff because it never works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this says it all. You need to move on from the "cursed" and the It's not me it's them mentality if you are going to get serious about playing.
However why not try the next blind level up, with one buyin and see how you do.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, let's see:

Thanks to some of you.

And comments such as, "obviously you are not ready to play professionally" are not needed. Well, obviously I know this, otherwise why am I here asking for help? So, those comments are empty and useless.

To the guy that said, "awesome! I'll love to put all my money in against those idiots with bad hands" Great dude, more power to you, have fun for the 3 minutes you will last at the table. I'd put my AA all in in a heart beat every day of the week against 63--that's not my point--my point is, in Tunica, every hand beats every hand--there are no great hands, Tunica is cursed. I can tell you several bad beat stories, but I cannot tell you a sinlge great hand actually held up story. There has to be something to that...

And don't worry Brad, I never bluff because it never works.

But anyway, Brad, where do you live? Maybe you can take me under your wing and help me out or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live pretty close, DeSoto county. I'm just a weekend warrior but will be glad to answer any question you have to the best of my ability.

Sounds like you are on the butt end of variance tho....
Old 10-04-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have always been told that most folks will bet on if the sun is going to come up in Tunica.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no idea!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I cannot wait to get down there..... just strap on my seatbelt and hold on huh....

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much. You'll see plenty of passive players that will limp every hand if you let them....but if you turn up the heat a little bit, most will loosen up. Like I said, lotta of them will see the turn with any 2 cards.

It's not uncommon for the action to go....limp, limp, limp, limp on the flop...to raise, reraise, allin, allin on the turn.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:38 PM

OP,
If your luck is so bad that you can not tell even ONE story of a great hand that held up, why exactly are you even THINKING of playing professionally? I don't say this to aggravate you, but to make you think. Poker is about putting your money in the pot with one of three expectations:
1. You have the best hand
2. You are likely to make your draw
3. You believe you can get the other player(s) to fold better hands

Of course people get sucked out on. It's poker, it happens all the time. But if you feel like you are getting sucked out on too consistently - and it's not just a bad run at the variance table - you have holes in your game that are being exploited by your opponents.

I would suggest that you spend some time playing NL10 and NL25 online. This will help to prepare you for a live 1/2 game because the style of play is similar. If you can beat NL10 and NL25 online, you should be able to beat live 1/2.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:49 PM

I'm not a regular at Tunica by no means... but whenever I am home from school I try to make it a point to go down there, but I do understand where the op is coming from. When I first started playing live it was at GS (where my family always stays) and my meager $200-$300 buy in was nothing compared to what everyone else had, which was very intimidating. I can remember someone they called buddy who I guess had it in for us "kids" and everytime I raised a pot he would put me all in, it was harsh, but more often than not I would get my money in good. The loses were hard but when it was all said and done I came out ahead.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can remember someone they called buddy who I guess had it in for us "kids" and everytime I raised a pot he would put me all in, it was harsh,

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds AWESOME. Just wait till you have JJ-AA/AK and call him. I would kill to have a guy behind me raise all-in everytime I entered a pot in NL.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:15 PM

The idea that you can beat good players but you can't beat stupid ones is for chumps. You aren't the first to have it, and you won't be the last. But you need to get rid of it.

Learn the game. Spend some time around here. Read NLTAP,and Professional Hold em Vol I, Theory of Poker, and Phil G's Little Green Book. Play a bazillion hands at NL 10 online (maybe even lower). In the end, learn to smile when you get outdrawn after the money went in. It means you are playing right.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:17 PM

exactly that is the point, it is more of a patience game than a out think out wit out play game... lol
Old 10-04-2007, 06:54 PM

Just because the blinds are 1 and 2 doesn't mean it can't play like a 5/10 game.

Any game can be played as if it is a higher limit then what it is. Even in limit, if all streets are capped, a 2/4 game can play like a 10/20.

In other words, you are under bankrolled for this game. What you are describing is a high variance game and I get the feeling you don't have the bankroll to ride the waves.

If you can't find a tamer game in town then play online or try limit. Personally I am in the same boat and if playing uber tight didn't work then I would be moving to a different game.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:03 PM

Maybe should play higher limits where people will respect his raises.