Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2007, 11:25 PM

Default Re: IGN Top 100

[ QUOTE ]
Let me preface my opinions by saying that I'm only 19 and have only been playing video games for 9-10 years, so I don't have as much of a perspective on the history of video games as some others do. However, I feel that *for their time* FF7 and Goldeneye could be considered the best in their genres when they were released. Obviously Halo series, as well as many others have passsed Goldeneye, but that doesn't change how great it was when it was first released.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, in 1997 EGM released it's top 100 games of all time. Goldeneye was 25 while FFVII was 21. It is very easy to look back at certain games and see what has been improved on them over the years, but for the time these were two games that really impacted future games. I will probably never play a game as much as I played Goldeneye for as long as I live.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let me preface my opinions by saying that I'm only 19 and have only been playing video games for 9-10 years, so I don't have as much of a perspective on the history of video games as some others do. However, I feel that *for their time* FF7 and Goldeneye could be considered the best in their genres when they were released. Obviously Halo series, as well as many others have passsed Goldeneye, but that doesn't change how great it was when it was first released.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, in 1997 EGM released it's top 100 games of all time. Goldeneye was 25 while FFVII was 21. It is very easy to look back at certain games and see what has been improved on them over the years, but for the time these were two games that really impacted future games. I will probably never play a game as much as I played Goldeneye for as long as I live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ehhhh. I think these two games are ranked just fine. If they were as hugely impactful on future games as you imply, they would have cracked the top 10 in that 1997 list.

They are great games that made incremental improvements to already existing concepts. The games that are remembered on top lists are the ones that broke ground with new concepts or reinvented old ones. You are probably overestimating these games' importance because it was in your gaming heyday.
Old 11-23-2007, 10:30 AM

Yeah Burnout 3, MGS2, and Virtua Fighter 4 placed above Goldeneye...the more I use my common sense the more I realize this list kind of blows.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:17 PM

The fanbois talking about how call of duty four should be on this list are really effing dense.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fanbois talking about how call of duty four should be on this list are really effing dense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of the comments are truly terrible to the point of hilarity, and are exactly why those of us at gamefaqs ironically look down on those at ign:

10.Spiderman(PS1)
9.Duke Nuckem 64
8.Duke Nuckem: Time to Kill
7.Star wars Battlefront II
6.Spider-an friend or Foe(PSP)
5.Spiderman the movie(PS2)
4.tar Wars Battlefront: Renegade Squadron
3.Halo
2.Halo 2
1.Halo 3

Fanboy much?

Looking at their previous lists, just got to wonder what'll be third (after they continue their obvious SMB and OoT love-in)
Old 11-23-2007, 05:51 PM

There are at least 50 FPS's better than Doom, doesn't mean it should be left off the list though.
[ QUOTE ]

Looking at their previous lists, just got to wonder what'll be third (after they continue their obvious SMB and OoT love-in)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah but SMB and Ocarina deserve 1 and 2 though. Both games were perfect when they came out, both revolutionized gaming, etc. There's really not a whole lot of games that you could argue would be ahead. Maybe...Mario 64. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-23-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah but SMB and Ocarina deserve 1 and 2 though. Both games were perfect when they came out, both revolutionized gaming, etc. There's really not a whole lot of games that you could argue would be ahead. Maybe...Mario 64. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ocarina yes. But one of their criteria is "how well it stands up over the years", and SMB was rendered obsolete back when they released SMB3, the pinnacle of the genre
Old 11-24-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah but SMB and Ocarina deserve 1 and 2 though. Both games were perfect when they came out

[/ QUOTE ]

Then how is Doom not #3? There are a million FPSes better than Doom, sure, but you seem to have different criteria for what FPS games should be on the list than you do for platformers or RPGs?

Doom's held up great over time. I still play it occasionally.
Old 11-23-2007, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean because it isn't even eligible?
Old 11-23-2007, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean because it isn't even eligible?

[/ QUOTE ]
That's and I agree with IGN not including recent games when doing a top 100 all time list. Replay factor is so important when determining a list like this. These are the type of people who's number one game of all time would change every single year to whichever game is hot right at that moment.