Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 04-15-2006, 08:16 PM

Default flopped trips, turned full house, question about turn line

http://www.pokerhand.org/?301887

First of all, the villain in this hand sat down less than one orbit ago and this was the first hand he made it to the flop with. He raised to two dollars once before and got the blinds.

My question is about the turn play. I bet small on the flop hoping for a bluff or to keep him in. If I had seen him play a single hand before I probably would have raised more depending on what I had seen him do. On the turn when he bet to 10 dollars was my 25 reraise better than calling and trying to get in on the river? Obviously it worked out fine this time, but in general should I reraise there? I thought about it and I am really torn when it comes to a player with no read. I figured he had probably made a straight on the flop and was slow playing a little and when the turn 8 came he was hoping I had one so he could get my money. If he was on a flush I don't see him raising here (and as a result I make a small raise when it checks to me and pray he makes the flush on the river).

I talked to a couple of my friends about this and we think just calling or reraising both make sense, so I'm looking for input here.

Sorry about results and everything but I don't have the hand history in front of me and I pulled the link of my my bookmarks
Old 04-15-2006, 08:22 PM

Default Re: flopped trips, turned full house, question about turn line

[ QUOTE ]
I bet small on the flop hoping for a bluff or to keep him in

[/ QUOTE ]

Not good. This is a very draw heavy board. Bet $4-$5.

When you boat up, I bet 2/3 on the turn, and then push his reraise.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:23 PM

You have to push on that turn after he raises you, leading for a push on the river doesn't make any sense since he sometimes could be semi-bluffing a draw (small chance but still possible) and would fold when he misses on the river. Also doing a c/c line on the river to induce a bluff is out of the question. Therefore you have to re-raise all-in here. Also i bet 1/2 to 2/3 the pot if I want to induce a bluff vs an unknown, betting 1/4 seems to not work so well unless you KNOW he is super aggro.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I bet small on the flop hoping for a bluff or to keep him in

[/ QUOTE ]

Not good. This is a very draw heavy board. Bet $4-$5.

When you boat up, I bet 2/3 on the turn, and then push his reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I donked the flop pretty badly.

I don't like betting big on the turn myself. I want to look weak since I think he is on a draw and I'm praying he gets it. I guess pushing the reraise would work here, but if he reraised and I pushed and he folded because he didn't hit his draw that sucks. At this point nothing is beating me but 88. I guess reraising to 25 is pretty close to pushing but I don't know why I feel pushing is worse. Illogical I guess. Your line makes a lot of sense. I was afraid I would get him to fold when I have a virtually unbeatable hand.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to push on that turn after he raises you, leading for a push on the river doesn't make any sense since he sometimes could be semi-bluffing a draw (small chance but still possible) and would fold when he misses on the river. Also doing a c/c line on the river to induce a bluff is out of the question. Therefore you have to re-raise all-in here. Also i bet 1/2 to 2/3 the pot if I want to induce a bluff vs an unknown, betting 1/4 seems to not work so well unless you KNOW he is super aggro.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you say 1/2 to 2/3 you mean on the turn right?

On the river my line would depend on if it looked like a draw completed. If another straight or flush card hit I check and pray he was indeed looking for it and push his reraise. If not I guess I lost out big time.

My initial thought was I was going to gamble on him completing his draw. If he was on a draw and I pushed the turn he probably folds. I thought my reraise would either get a call or a push and then I could pray he hit his draw on the river
Old 04-15-2006, 08:36 PM

I meant on flop I bet 1/2 to 2/3 of pot. As for "hoping he completes his draw on the river", do you really think he is folding his draw with this large of a pot and not much left behind him if you push on the turn after he re-raises? There is no way he is folding a draw on this turn. Therefore by letting him NOT complete his draw on the river and then fold to your lead you are saving him money since he obviously won't call the river lead if he misses his draw.
Old 04-15-2006, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I meant on flop I bet 1/2 to 2/3 of pot. As for "hoping he completes his draw on the river", do you really think he is folding his draw with this large of a pot and not much left behind him if you push on the turn after he re-raises? There is no way he is folding a draw on this turn. Therefore by letting him NOT complete his draw on the river and then fold to your lead you are saving him money since he obviously won't call the river lead if he misses his draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dang, I never thought about that. When he reraises me to 10 on the turn the pot has less than 20 bucks, are you sure he is going to call a 40 dollar reraise?

Heck, he probably would but I'm not positive
Old 04-15-2006, 08:54 PM

Well the minimum you shoudl be re-raising here is 20$ on top of his 10$ bet which leaves you with roungly 15$ left in your stack. I don't mind a raise to 30$ total (the hand conerter confuses me, i can't tell if you made it 23 ontop of his 10 or riased it TO 23). I don't think pushing is much different though. I probably do the raise to 30 more often though since it seems less intimidating to the weak opponents you face at small stakes.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:08 PM

I raised to 25 dollars total. So I raised his 10 dollar raise 15 more