Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Can you believe in certain things without being religious?

I just imagined a dog with a Black and Decker drill.

Thanks for that. It was a dull afternoon.

People tend to take wiki as gospel these days, it seems. They shouldn't. The U of Virginia has a Division of Perceptual Studies, that much you can glean from the page.

Rather odd that academics has become so broad that anything and everything gets included.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i guess no one is familiar with the reincarnation research done by Dr. Ian Stevenson

[/ QUOTE ]

have you actually read his 'research'? It's easier to read it as a parody on Saturday Night Live than being presented as a scientific study.
Really. A dog would drill a hole in the floor if he were as circular in the pursuit of his tail.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have to answer your own question sir.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i guess no one is familiar with the reincarnation research done by Dr. Ian Stevenson

[/ QUOTE ]

have you actually read his 'research'? It's easier to read it as a parody on Saturday Night Live than being presented as a scientific study.
Really. A dog would drill a hole in the floor if he were as circular in the pursuit of his tail.

luckyme

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you have to answer your own question sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're new here. Before I spend a lot of time discussing research with you I want to know if you have read his work and consider it qualifies as representative of the scientific method. ( I've gone through his 'Children Remember ...' book).
iow, the question was more about you, not him, you may be Splendors tutor for all I know.

luckyme
Old 11-29-2007, 06:44 PM

I'm not an expert on his research by any means, but i have have read articles and watch some videos on the basic premise of it. Stevenson himself was extremely skeptical of his own work, he never once concluded it proved reincarnation as scientific fact. But what he did mention was reincarnation is a phenonemna which needs to be taken more seriously.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 PM

Incidentally, is there any sort of peer review process in place for paranormal research?
Old 11-29-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not an expert on his research by any means, but i have have read articles and watch some videos on the basic premise of it. Stevenson himself was extremely skeptical of his own work, he never once concluded it proved reincarnation as scientific fact. But what he did mention was reincarnation is a phenonemna which needs to be taken more seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, I'm the one that can now say,

[ QUOTE ]
*sigh* i guess no one is familiar with the reincarnation research done by Dr. Ian Stevenson

[/ QUOTE ]

read even that one book, come back with comments on the merit of the science in it. Then use him as a reference to bolster your point..
no?

luckyme
Old 11-29-2007, 07:05 PM

Um the point you have made is completely irrelevant. You have not stated as into why this research is not scientific, or why it should be disregarded. Just because i haven't read a book, does NOT mean i am not familiar with his research, therfore your argument has no merit . And if your looking for some kind of literature on the subject then by all means go to...

[url=https://www.healthsystem.virginia.edu/internet/personalitystudies/case_types.cfm#CORT]

http://www.near-death.com/experience...rnation01.html

I don't know how scientific one can get using a poker forum...
Old 11-29-2007, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um the point you have made is completely irrelevant. You have not stated as into why this research is not scientific, or why it should be disregarded. Just because i haven't read a book, does NOT mean i am not familiar with his research, ...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm wiping the jelly off the hammer...
Do YOU think the methods he used in his research meet an acceptable level of scientific rigor?
You don't have to prove to me it does, I just want your verdict on it.

luckyme
Old 11-29-2007, 07:50 PM

I think he did the best science he possibly could, considering it is such a controversial subject.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he did the best science he possibly could, considering it is such a controversial subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the controversy should affect your scientific methods how? By taking care to be extra rigorous in your methods or getting sloppy?
What's your opinion on where he ended up on the continuum?....wipe.
( I've never considered that the amount of rigor that science demands is dependent on the controversy involved, but they are human. "lots of people are going to attack this so I'll ..." could be an influence I suppose)

luckyme