Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2007, 03:18 AM

Default Tough AKs hand in the SB facing 3 bets

Full Tilt $0.25/$0.50 - DHANI posts the small blind of $0.10
HERO *** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]
2 folds, EP calls, 1 fold,
MP raises to $0.50,CO raises to $0.75
1 fold
HERO calls $0.65, bb folds
EP $0.50, MP raises to $1, CO calls $0.25, HERO calls $0.25, EP calls $0.25
*** FLOP *** [A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
HERO checks
EP checks
MP $0.25
CO raises to $0.50
HERO raises to $0.75
EP calls $0.75
MP folds
CO calls $0.25
*** TURN *** [A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]
HERO bets $0.50
EP calls $0.50
CO raises to $1
HERO calls $0.50
EPcalls $0.50
*** RIVER *** [A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]] [4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]] [8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]]
HERO checks
EP checks
CO bets $0.50
HERO calls $0.50
EP folds....

I felt rather confused here because the table had shown a mixture of aggressive play with mediocre hands and passive play with strong hands in position.
I could see capping preflop to get max value, but I could easily put one of the latter 2 players on AA-QQ and possibly AKs.

How did I play this?
Old 11-24-2007, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Tough AKs hand in the SB facing 3 bets

Preflop: I'd cap it. You have a lot of hand here and should get value while you can.

Flop: As played preflop, c/r seems fine.

Turn, River: Good.

Sure looks like a set when he raises you on the turn, but the pot is huge and there's no way you can fold.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:27 AM

please cap preflop. other than that this is pretty standard. Of course, the flop plays differently if you cap pf. You would have been able to four bet and then call down from the turn raise. This is a chop pretty often. Just saying.
Old 11-24-2007, 05:54 AM

You've got too big of a hand to not be flat capping here preflop, even out of the SB. If you miss, no one says you have to bet the flop.

Looks like you may have left a bet behind on the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
but I could easily put one of the latter 2 players on AA-QQ and possibly AKs.

[/ QUOTE ]

The key is you have AK and there is AK on the flop, so the combinations of the hands that beat you in your list(AA/KK) is severely limited.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The key is you have AK and there is AK on the flop, so the combinations of the hands that beat you in your list(AA/KK) is severely limited.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is an important point.

mathematically you are a big favorite here, and you say yourself that they've been overplaying hands. go to war on the turn.

as an aside, and i'm not trying to embarrass you, i saw you play a while back on full tilt. i was sweating/coaching my wife and someone under the screenname "Dhani" was playing(i assumed it was you). it was .25/.50 or .50/1.00 or 1/2. i forget which one.

i don't know if you leave chat on, but there was a hand where you had TT in the sb and someone raised, you cold-called, it got HU postflop and i'm pretty sure you won the hand. but not 3betting TT from the blinds against a late position raiser was pretty bad so i reached over and typed "omg 3bet preflop" or something in the chatbox. you never responded so i guess you didn't see it.

just from these couple hands it seems to me you're playing way too passively from the blinds. playing with poor position is tough, but failing to define your hand when OOP(whether you realize it or not) makes it even tougher.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could see capping preflop to get max value, but I could easily put one of the latter 2 players on AA-QQ and possibly AKs.

How did I play this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here is the way, I look at the preflop play. I didn't notice if you had included any PT stats, but against certain players, I would fold this preflop. If I was going to play, then I am going to cap it every time. Your call shows a bunch of strength anyway, there is no reason to disguise your hand. Actually, your call probably does a worse job of disguising your hand, because almost everyone is going to cap with a big pocket pair, so the only hand they coldcall with in your seat is AK. Watch when it happens. I bet that calling 3 out of the blinds by a reasonable player is AK at least 75% of the time.

Ok, the second reason to cap it, is that you are probably going to continue past the flop. Unless you whiff, and it is 3 bets back to you. Why not make the pot bigger preflop, and then by default, any draw you are making, is going to be getting better odds. So by capping it preflop, you are making your likely postflop play better.

Third reason to cap it. You might make it more likely that you are going to win this big pot. UTG limped. He might fold to a cap. Also, some of the time the first raiser will also fold to a cap, but not, to a threebet. The pot is going to be big, give yourself the best chance to win here. You don't really want players with small suited connectors to stick around here, because they will take a lot of equity from your pot. You probably would just as soon have hands that you have dominated out of this pot RIGHT NOW, becuase they also will probably have draws that could beat you. AQ, AJ, KQ, all flopped enough here to suck eauity away.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They might, but play the flop first, then try and figure out what they have psotflop.
Old 11-24-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the table had shown a mixture of aggressive play with mediocre hands and passive play with strong hands in position

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't Hero include QJ in the range of hands at least one of the opponents have? This seems to fit the reads/action.

Yes, cap pre-flop.