Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 04:56 AM

Default Re: ***Official Cleveland Indians Offseason Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
said in the article possibly Crowe and Lofgren for Bay, meh i dunno, i really like crowe though

[/ QUOTE ]

Home run, Cleveland.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if hes over the injuries, i say go for it, i mean we got all that minor league talent, gonna have to trade some of it anyways

[/ QUOTE ]

If he is over the injuries and will revert to 2005-2006 Jason Bay form, then the deal is all but done. The problem isn't that; the problem is that maybe he's not the 05-06 Jason Bay we know.

EDIT: For clarity, if he is over the injuries, it's basically trading Crowe/Lofgren for Miguel Cabrera.

Maybe better.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:11 PM

If we're getting all terrified of one really bad year we shouldn't have any problems ditching Crowe, so then it's just Lofgren for Bay. Lofgren has been pretty stellar, but he's just a pitching prospect. TINSTAAPP and all that.

I pull the trigger on this deal yesterday and thank my lucky stars that the Huntington likely has a bias in favor of "his" guys, because that was scary answer for the rest of the NL Central.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I pull the trigger on this deal yesterday

[/ QUOTE ]

but then again, i don't pick up joebo's option.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:25 PM

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/ar...articleid=6495

Consider me skeptical on Bay bouncing back to his old levels. Keep in mind, this is a guy who was never a top prospect and has basically outhit his minor league totals in the majors.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I pull the trigger on this deal yesterday

[/ QUOTE ]

but then again, i don't pick up joebo's option.

[/ QUOTE ]

45 saves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 11-07-2007, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
said in the article possibly Crowe and Lofgren for Bay, meh i dunno, i really like crowe though

[/ QUOTE ]

Home run, Cleveland.

[/ QUOTE ]

awaaaaaay back, it is......GONE!

do that, for sure. even he continues the 21hr 84rbi pace, and ups his average just a little...i'd take that. then, if he reverts to form...

cross-posted from another forum i frequent, my thoughts..

tribe - shapiro says we're standing pat.

okay, i guess....literally everyone is back, save maybe borowski...however, it's most likely our last year with cc.

i seem to remember 3-4 years ago, larry dolan (owner) saying that 'he'd spend the money when the time is right'...i remember because it was the year that i didn't buy a 10-game season ticket after 2 years of buying them (i figured if he didn't want to spend money, neither would i) from what i see, there's never been a better time to splurge a little...

1. came 1 game from probably winning the world series in 4-5 games.

2. last year with a dominant (ignore the post-season after 250+ innings) #1 starter...

3. 5 extra playoff home games. period. the extra revenue a team gains from having home playoff games is ridiculous. let's say the average ticket price is (i have no idea, just guessing) $100...that's times 43,000 tickets.

so say, 4.3 million ticket revenue times 5 games = 21.5 mill-ish...

that's just TICKETS.

add in beer (i myself spent 80-ish on beers/2 shots on 1 game alone, hell, prolly more like $100, how can you keep track at that point??), food, merchandise, etc...i imagine it was $35-40 million gross, at an absolute minimum. i'd actually love to see statistics on teams' income due to home playoff games..

so now you have to pay players, coaches, staff, beer guys, etc...okay, so let's say you conservatively push $25,000,000 or so total for the playoffs. it's a business, you buy a team to make a profit, and you stash away half into your own checking account.

you still have 12.5 million dollars (which, again, sounds really low) to spend on the team, right?

4. how about carl crawford to leadoff next year??

anyway, obviously i'm a little put-off by shapiro's comments...yes, we're young, and will be a year better next year, rather than a year older, especially with the playoff experience, but isn't now the time another B+/A- type of player would push us over the hump??

i'm optimistic, really i am. even as a cleveland sports fan. tribe 1 game from the world series, cavs played in nba finals, brownies looking better and more exciting week in, week out...

yet, i realize how hard it will be for my first sports love to get through the american league every year. you have to get so lucky over the course of a year and the playoffs to get to where they were this year, and who knows? we could have injuries, or a horrible apr/may and never get back to that point again...

obviously i'm still hurting, and yes, we have everybody back, in most cases for several years, but to not take an opportunity like the one we had: up 3-1, with our number 1a and 1b aces in games 5 and 6, it makes me realize how long of a season it is, and how the Indians will probably forever frustrate me...
Old 11-07-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Consider me skeptical on Bay bouncing back to his old levels. Keep in mind, this is a guy who was never a top prospect and has basically outhit his minor league totals in the majors.

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't need to get all the way back to his old levels to be worth these prospects and his contract. If he puts up a measly 4.0 WARP/yr he'd be a steal at $13MM over two years. Niether Crowe nor Lofgren are locks to be big league regulars. There is virtually no risk in this deal. It's probably a pipe dream anyways.
Old 11-07-2007, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He doesn't need to get all the way back to his old levels to be worth these prospects and his contract. If he puts up a measly 4.0 WARP/yr he'd be a steal at $13MM over two years. Niether Crowe nor Lofgren are locks to be big league regulars. There is virtually no risk in this deal. It's probably a pipe dream anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but Lofgren+Crowe for him is definitely a pipe dream. They'd come asking for Droob and/or Miller plus another couple players.