Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-02-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Re: BFI November [censored] thread

[ QUOTE ]
down $4.5k today. boo. china index down nearing 5% plus losses in silver. always was expecting this though.

[/ QUOTE ]

john..how much are you up on your gold trade so far? just cracked $800. all time closing high i believe is $850. next stop $1000.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
down $4.5k today. boo. china index down nearing 5% plus losses in silver. always was expecting this though.

[/ QUOTE ]

john..how much are you up on your gold trade so far? just cracked $800. all time closing high i believe is $850. next stop $1000.

[/ QUOTE ]

up about $11k [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] on gold in a month or so. i had £30 per $1 from 725 to 750 and then £100 from 750 to now $803.

thanks a lot for the recommendation. i ideally i want to increase my position by an extra 20% ill do that soon i think, need to decide which gold fund to leverage.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:16 PM

ive got the BBC news at 6pm on in the back (if your not familar with UK news it's the main tv terrestial channel and main news bulletin). it was covering for a few minutes about the volatility in the markets and said about oil prices rising. it then had a clip about gold! and how it's been rising so much in the last 6 months and people are looking to buy physical gold.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
im down like 20k today. stocks fking blow.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you for making my day better.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i think US equities right now are a pretty shaky investment...i dunno why you would buy

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to elaborate? Some of them? Nearly all of them? Where did I specify only US equities? Multinationals are going back up after this mini-correction. I am referring to some short term traders right now and anyone who wants a long term position in some of the more solid US banks and a select few tech stocks. I even like the price of some of the retailers heading into the holiday season.

Now all that being said and asked; in my positions thread I have been concentrating on puts so on specific stocks I agree with you. I just bought MSFT $37.50 puts, made money on my GS puts and plan on buying puts on Google and buying December $110 calls on Garmin.

I increased my position in XMSR substantially and am planning on getting back into UA at any price under $58. Also would buy YHOO under $30.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont like to pick individual stocks. I'd rather take broader views on the market (sectors, indexes, etc)

There are lots of earnings reports looming in the near future for some other big banks (bear stearns, etc.) I think we may see some more skeletons in the closet and the market could react very poorly (conversely i dont think there's as much upside if these come in on the up and up). I think you're going to see a lot of volatility in the next month or two

FWIW i took out a long SPz7 contract today at 1505. I think we'll see a little short term correction. I'll prob dump it in the 30's depending on happenings along the way
Old 11-02-2007, 04:38 PM

Gold spot closed at $806. Congrats to all those involved. Expect some turbulence as it approaches the all time nominal high of around $850. Going to 4 digits in 2008.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:33 AM

Anyone looking into Alibaba IPO/Yahoo stock price effect?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aAnJbtzBmDWE
Old 11-03-2007, 11:24 AM

Do you think the stock is overvalued now trading @ 32.90 afterhours. I missed the boat when it was in its 30.xx
Old 11-03-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone looking into Alibaba IPO/Yahoo stock price effect?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=aAnJbtzBmDWE

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. An analyst calculated the effect of Alibaba IPO to be about $2.50 in YHOO's share price. I ran the numbers in the prospectus and came up with something very close. I did not look through all of YHOO's assets and earnings to see if it's already priced in but with a quick look at YHOO's fwd P/E of 57 vs GOOG's 34, it might already be well priced in and more.

According to my numbers, if Alibaba doubles on day one, YHOO's share price should go up a little less than $2. With these crazy Chinese IPOs, who knows what will happen.

Alibaba is also priced at 106 trailing P/E and 66 fwd P/E @ $13.5HKD. I'm unconvinced they can continue to grow at this pace for the next few years. One thing to note is that YHOO owns 39% of Alibaba's parent company and if they IPO Taobao.com and Alipay.com (Chinese equivalent of eBay and Paypal), we'll probably see some more massive hype for YHOO. Alibaba Group has a few other internet properties but nothing worth writing about.

Anyway, despite all that, I picked up a few YHOO JAN 35 CALLS earlier this week just for [censored] and giggles.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:09 PM

ESV is super super cheap right now. P/E ratio of 8.5 and expected growth rate of least 25% per year. And no debt. And oil only keeps going up in price. Id say they're a good deal.