Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 10-27-2007, 06:45 PM

Default Bug - movie review

Bug , 2006, William Friedken

Caught this on cable the other night, as I had heard interesting things about it. It was originally an off-Broadway play by Tracy Letts, and he adapted the screenplay for veteran director (The Exorcist, The French Connection) Friedken.

This is a horror/psychological study about two people slowly going mad. They hole up in a motel room and try and destroy ever-increasing bugs that are somehow feeding on them. Eww!

I don't want to say too much because I wouldn't want to ruin any surprises for those of you who see this.

But I will say it's an effective little thriller. It happens to have one of the most unnerving and horrifying sequences I've ever seen on film. Let's just say giving a set of pliers to a man who thinks he has bug egg sacs underneath his teeth is not a good idea!

Ashley Judd and Michael Shannon (reprising his stage role) are the stars, and both give indelible, astonishing performances. I'm surprised their performances didn't garner more attention during awards season (Friedken did win an award at Cannes), but I understand this is one hell of a disturbing film and I'm sure it polarized many reviewers and audience members. It's a shame though, because it probably is Judd's best ever film performance. She obviously let herself go a little, as she looks fleshy and haggard and not at all the glamour queen we know her as.

Harry Connick Jr. also shows up as a beefy ex-con and ex-husband...

If you like incredibly disturbing psychological character studies and/or descents into madness, this is the movie for you! Otherwise, steer clear - it'll give you nightmares.

4 out of 5 stars.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Bug - movie review

It's hard to imagine Judd as anything but astonishingly beautiful.

I heard good and bad about this one, and I'll probably see it one day. Some of it sounds reminiscent of The Tenant, even down to the teeth part.

Teeth always work, very primal. Worked great in The Fly, too.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:25 AM

Default Re: Bug - movie review

i liked this movie for a while and then i sort of lost interest towards the end.. the theatre audience i saw it with hated it and many said they wanted their money back but i didn't mind paying for it.