Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 10-27-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Do you think dogs get lonely?

Thinking a lot about dogs lately

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about dogs. I sort of want one. Course I seem to enjoy talking about it more than going out and getting an actual dog.

Several people at work have told me that it's wrong to get a dog if I can't give it enough attention. I don't know what they're getting at. These same people have dogs of their own and work the same number of hours I do. It's not like they're hanging out with their mutts all day long. So is it cruel to get a dog and leave it at home all day while I'm at work? Do they really get lonely or is it more boredom?

Should I go purebred?

The kind of breeds I'm debating (based mostly on their looks) are boxers, terriers and maybe even wirehaired pointers. Has anyone on here ever owned a wirehaired pointer? They look like this

- Do you think your dog gets lonely? If you could would you do it all over again and get a dog knowing what you know now?

- Do you think it's unethical to get a dog if you work a lot of hours each week? Say you are gone from your house for 10 hours every day?

- Is it wrong to leave your dog in a crate for 8-9 hrs every day?

Finally, (on a slightly different subject) - Is it wrong to get a puppy from a dog breeder? There's a dog fanatic at work who told me that our coworker should never have gotten a golden doodle from a breeder because it's unethical. Why are dog breeders unethical?
Old 10-27-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Do you think dogs get lonely?

1. If you get a dog, adopt one from a shelter or pound. Lots of unwanted dogs. That's where I got mine!

2. Of course dogs get lonely and bored. I think it's because they have no concept of time...so it really doesn't matter if you're gone for for five minutes or 10 hours - to them you're gone FOREVER!

That's why they're so happy when u return. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

3. Crate training is fine...dogs are den animals and love to be underneath/in something...
Old 10-27-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why does this dog look smarter than anyone I know?
Old 10-27-2007, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he is. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2007, 01:27 PM

If the dog isnt lonely it is busy chewing up furniture, so I would prefer a lonely dog just laying around waiting for me to come home.

Its not unethical, but when its a puppy its better to be around as much as possible if it is going to be mainly a house pet.

I think its pretty bad, you gotta do what you gotta do with what you got though. The more room the better.

If your a baller then go for the high class dog, I would reccomend adopting.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:29 PM

Dogs do get lonely.
The main problem would be if you travel too much and can't be with the dog on a daily basis. Not being with him from 9 to 5 doesn't sound like a problem to me.

PS: Dogs are awesome.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I got that dog I'd definitly grow out a mustache/goatee so we'd look the same.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:04 PM

It's very important to read up about the different dog temperaments before you get one. Some vet offices are excellent for this too. They will tell you what types of dogs tend to act out in certain ways more or less, etc. It's easy to pick a dog solely based on looks or the personality of one when you saw it in a park one day; however, you didn't see that dog at home all day!

Two people not to ask are shelter workers and breeders. The first are not really trained and often not well read or experienced. They also may want to just foist any dog on you, or a troubled one, to get it out of there. It may not be conscious, but it really does nothing for you. Breeders, on the other hand, may know a lot about their breed, but tend to downplay it because of two things. First, they probably love the breed and that's why they chose it above all others. Love is blind. And defensive! Second, because they are trying to sell product. So do some independent reading and ask a vet. That will also tell you what genetic problems particular breeds are likely to have, which can help you when picking your new pet from a litter. Bear in mind that some of these are fairly costly chronic conditions.

On being alone, you can be away all day, but a dog is a lot like a kid. If you come home and your kid is hungry, he doesn't give a damn if you've had a bad day at work and want to take a nap for an hour -- he wants his dinner! He's probably dying for some attention too. Maybe he needs a walk and to go poop! All this falls on your shoulders, and there are no days off. If you want to have a dog but have days off from having a dog, it's just not going to work.

Note that that also means that going on trips can be more costly and burdensome. You have to ask friends to take care of the dog -- which many may do quite poorly -- or board them at a kennel, perhaps adding a couple hundred dollars to the effective cost of your trip. Do you want to do that? It's a pretty real problem.

Regarding a crate, crate training your dog is fine, but leaving him in there for 8 or 9 or 10 hours a day is excessive. Let him stretch his legs a bit and walk around your place. There's no harm in it. Crates for anything but small dogs take up quite a bit of room too.

Another thing -- one dog can keep another company.

Also, agreed with another poster that puppies need, and should get, a ton of attention. It's very important to their socialization.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. If you get a dog, adopt one from a shelter or pound. Lots of unwanted dogs. That's where I got mine!

2. Of course dogs get lonely and bored. I think it's because they have no concept of time...so it really doesn't matter if you're gone for for five minutes or 10 hours - to them you're gone FOREVER!

That's why they're so happy when u return. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

3. Crate training is fine...dogs are den animals and love to be underneath/in something...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for everyone's comments.

1. I might go this route. I don't think I can handle a puppy even though I love them so much. I think I'm looking for a more mature dog. Someone who has the bathroom thing down. But I want one that looks cool. Like the fellow in the picture.

2. Dom, what do you do with your dog when you're gone. Does he just hang out on your couch all day?

3. Is crate training only for the early stages and eventually you throw away the crate?
Old 10-27-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I got that dog I'd definitly grow out a mustache/goatee so we'd look the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering about this actually. They say people tend to look like their dogs so what does this say about me if I get this kind of breed [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. I think it says that I am really cute with an awesome coat.