Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 10-20-2007, 01:37 PM

Default Re: Gone Baby Gone

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Director Affleck gets everything right - from the minor roles to the Boston feel of the film...this is an excellent companion piece to that other film adapted from a Dennis Lehan book, Mystic River. The only quibble I have is all the loose ends at the end are maybe tied up a bit tool cleanly and quickly...but it's a minor point.

What I'm most impressed with is not in the twists and turns of the plot (and there are plenty) but in the twists and turns in the characters we get to know. People we think of as good turn bad but then turn good again...sort of. This is a movie that does not shy away from admitting there are a million shades of gray to everyone's motivations in life, nor does it shy away from the Big Questions: the end of the film poses such a conundrum I'm not sure I could answer it myself with any faith.

The lead protagonist is faced with a perplexing moral question, yet he takes stand on one side - and risks losing everything he has - on that principle. I can't remember there being a film character so basically good in the face of life's evils.

Gone Baby Gone is a great film and makes me wonder what the hell took Affleck so long between Good Will Hunting and this. He obviously is more talented behind the camera than he is in front of it.

Four out of Five stars.

Mod Edit: Fixed your title.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really great review Dom. Based on your post I am now very excited about seeing this movie. Always liked Ben Affleck so it's nice to hear that he does something well. Especially like the way you phrased the part I bolded (above). I tend to agree with you that there are a million shades of gray to everyone's motivations. Sounds like a very cool story and can't wait to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Glad you liked it, Katy...but just a warning - this movie is infinitely more disturbing than Twin Peaks...so don't blame me if you hate it! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Always liked Ben Affleck

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was the only one.

I guess I'm the only GUY who likes Ben Affleck.

Or maybe the only hetero guy who likes him?
Old 10-20-2007, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Always liked Ben Affleck

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was the only one.

I guess I'm the only GUY who likes Ben Affleck.

Or maybe the only hetero guy who likes him?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always liked him, too...can't blame him for cashing in and making a few crappy movies...he also tries to stretch as an actor (Shakespeare in Love, Hollywoodland). He's got a likable, easy screen presence.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:48 PM

Default Re: [b]Gone Baby Gone[/b]

The thing is, he used to have that pop. Now he seems like he's always waiting to unleash it in another scene that never comes. There's never a pay-off for watching him almost get there.
Old 10-20-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing is, he used to have that pop. Now he seems like he's always waiting to unleash it in another scene that never comes. There's never a pay-off for watching him almost get there.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's more the film's failing than his...Hollywoodland was recent and he was excellent in that...in fact, I was surprised he wasn't nominated for an Oscar.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:04 PM

WOWOWOWOW just got back from thisthe best movie I've seen in a long long time. Casey def deserves an oscar nom for this.

Dom I have a question for you *****SPOILER ALERT*****

Why does the uncle want to hire Casey so bad? Is it because it's the only way they can find the money because he knows some people around the town? Or is because he wants to make
it seem like hes trying to help out, and thinks Casey would be way too dumb to ever figure something out? Only point of the movie that im very confused about.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WOWOWOWOW just got back from thisthe best movie I've seen in a long long time. Casey def deserves an oscar nom for this.

Why does the uncle want to hire Casey so bad? Is it because it's the only way they can find the money because he knows some people around the town? Or is because he wants to make
it seem like hes trying to help out, and thinks Casey would be way too dumb to ever figure something out? Only point of the movie that im very confused about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the uncle is forced to hire them because his wife is insisting on doing something, so he has no choice. While the money is obviously interesting to those responsible, I do think they were doing what they did for the best interests of the child.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the uncle is forced to hire them because his wife is insisting on doing something, so he has no choice. While the money is obviously interesting to those responsible, I do think they were doing what they did for the best interests of the child.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't they know that Casey knows enough about the town that he will eventually talk to cheese, and get suspicious about the disappearance? Seems pretty dumb that the uncle wasn't smart enough to think about this before hiring Casey.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shouldn't they know that Casey knows enough about the town that he will eventually talk to cheese, and get suspicious about the disappearance? Seems pretty dumb that the uncle wasn't smart enough to think about this before hiring Casey.

[/ QUOTE ]

the uncle had no choice...he had to do what his wife wanted or look suspicious.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:44 AM

*******SPOILERS********

When Affleck is in police custody after the cop dies, the first thing we hear him say is "why would I blow the whistle on a conspiracy that I'm a part of?" Then we find out that the recorded phone call does not exist and that the transcript was fake. At this point were you supposed to think that Affleck was being set up all along and that he was going to take the fall?

They had him read the transcript aloud and record it so that it would seem like he himself was asking for ransom money, they sent the girl's blanket to his address, etc. I didn't quite follow this...Affleck says that he "must have remembered wrong" and they let him go on his way. If he had pressed the issue would he have been in danger of being arrested for the crime?