Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Ryan Braun named Baseball America ROY

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chris Young and Tulowitzki would like to point out that they also play in the field, unlike a glorified DH like Braun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Chris Young, but come on, he had a .237 BA and a sub-.300 OBP.

But man, if he can get that average up, Young, Tulo, Braun, and Pence could be battling for MVP's soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's working on it.

1st Half .233/.277/.427 13 HR 9-9 SB
2nd Half .242/.313/.484 21 HR 20-27 SB

That second half is more than respectable for a centerfielder. But I have no idea why he was batting lead-off. What a waste of home-runs and a low OBP.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
okajiima is a huge ommission. it's like they tried to combine projection and production, which is pretty stupid when naming ROY candidates.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea Baseball America is first and foremost a prospect/minors/draft magazine. Their MLB analysis typically aligns that way, and is far from the best on the market
Old 10-18-2007, 02:51 AM

I think Tulo and Braun are about equal this year, but like the MVP, I think Tulo should get it because his team made the playoffs. Their teams would not have been around the playoff scene without them, but the rockies made it, brewers didnt. I dont know why that applies to the MVP but not the ROY.
Old 10-18-2007, 02:58 AM

Tulo's WARP was lik double Braun's.

Position and Defense matters greatly.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tulo's WARP was lik double Braun's.

Position and Defense matters greatly.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't seem that Baseball America has "graduated" to using advanced statistics when handing out awards. That is to be expected from them. And yes, I think Tulo should have gotten ROY, he's just so good. Don't tell Braun's brother I said that hahaha
Old 10-18-2007, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
baseballprospectus has Tulowitzski as a dominant defensive player, is that consistent with other metrics

Tulowitski +45FRAR at SS
Braun -10FRAR at 3B

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about Tulo, but there was a blog post today on Braun. To sum it up, Braun was terrible by all metrics and was quite possibly the worst defensive player in baseball. Talk of a move to RF has begun.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chris Young and Tulowitzki would like to point out that they also play in the field, unlike a glorified DH like Braun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Chris Young, but come on, he had a .237 BA and a sub-.300 OBP.

But man, if he can get that average up, Young, Tulo, Braun, and Pence could be battling for MVP's soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's working on it.

That second half is more than respectable for a centerfielder. But I have no idea why he was batting lead-off. What a waste of home-runs and a low OBP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris Young was also a little unlucky with his .257 BABIP.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:39 AM

Tulo all the way! it better be anyway, did you guys see his defensive performance in the postseason?? nothing short of amazing. he even had an unassisted triple play this season, i mean come on this should be a no brainer.

of course i'm biased as a rockies fan but whatever, im trying not to be. TULO-GIT TO QUIT!
Old 10-18-2007, 07:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Talk of a move to RF has begun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, there has been some talk of moving him to the outfield. The problem the Brewers have with that is that Corey Hart will be a fixture in the OF, probably in RF, and Bill Hall will probably stay in CF, unless they can find a better one and move him back to the IF. LF could be an option, but they are grooming LaPorta, their 1st round pick this year, for that position.

I believe most of Braun's errors were of the throwing variety, so that should be something that can be corrected (plus Fielder, while not a downright liability at 1B, doesn't quite help Braun avoid errors). Rickie Weeks was absolutely horrendous at 2B when he first made the jump to the majors and he has improved, although he still has plenty of work to do. Keep in mind that Braun just recently started playing 3B - he had been a SS in college - so he's probably still figuring it all out.

I doubt he will ever be Brooks Robinson over there, but I have no reason to think that he won't be able to improve to become at the very least an average fielding 3B.

I think Braun and Tulo were pretty even for ROY. Braun's downfall was obviously his piss poor fielding, while Tulo arguably wouldn't have been in the ROY conversation if he played for another team, given his poor offensive numbers on the road.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He's working on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, such a waste that this alone should disqualify Bob Melvin from Manager of the Year, seriously. Your Manager of the Year should be able to make out a lineup.