Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 10-12-2007, 07:06 PM

Default Michael Clayton

Michael Clayton , Tony Gilroy, 2007

Just saw this film, and I have to say it's probably the best movie I've seen this year. Writer/director Tony Gilroy is best known for penning the Bourne mives, and he brings the same intelligence, detail and complexity to Michael Clayton as he did to those films.

George Clooney plays the title character, a "fixer" for a huge NY law firm, a man who's been with the same firm for over 17 years but is not a partner. Basically, he's a bagman, or as he puts it, as "janitor" who is very, very good at cleaning up messes.

This is a legal thriller about a huge industrial company being sued for billions over a potentially lethal product. But really, the story is about Michael Clayton and his mid-life crisis of faith.

This is a very adult movie, one that takes concentration to understand what's going on, as Gilroy does not spoon feed plot points, character flwas and motivations to us; instead, Clayton's life is like our lives - complicated and one that doesn't always make sense. It's gorgeously plotted with minor details about characters that add up to much more than the whole. Clayton's gambling problem, his family life, his son, his friendships...we see it all like we experience real life - messily.

The performances are astounding; Clooney will win every major award, mark my words, and Tom Wikinson will probably get a few as well. As a huge fan of both actors, it's thrilling to see two giants go toe to toe in some fantastic scenes - especially one in an alley that crackles with intensity.

Tilda Swinton and Sydney Pollack also give outstanding performances, even while suffering from the cliche of "the banality of evil." But it's a minor quibble.

Great movie, not for everyone as it's slow going and cerebral, but definitely worth your time if you're looking for something with a little meat on its bones.

Four out of five stars.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Michael Clayton

but how are the cinematography and music?

the performances look fantastic and am excited to see it
Old 10-12-2007, 07:24 PM

I'm getting used to Clooney's presence in a project giving me high hopes for it. He seems to be becoming a more interesting artist year by year. I've been hoping he keeps on this route sort of like Clint Eastwood did -- finding financing to keep making his own quality movies and remaining viable in others -- but perhaps without quite so many orangutans. I'm really looking forward to this movie.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a very adult movie, one that takes concentration to understand what's going on, as Gilroy does not spoon feed plot points, character flwas and motivations to us;

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you are telling us is that this will fail miserably at the box office?
Old 10-12-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but how are the cinematography and music?

the performances look fantastic and am excited to see it

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't really notice the music, I was too engrossed in the movie. I guess that's a good thing.

The cinematography was very good and didn't call attention to itself...those of you who don't like the Greengrass "shakey-cam" style will be relieved to know that Gilroy does not take after his Bourne director on this.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm getting used to Clooney's presence in a project giving me high hopes for it. He seems to be becoming a more interesting artist year by year. I've been hoping he keeps on this route sort of like Clint Eastwood did -- finding financing to keep making his own quality movies and remaining viable in others -- but perhaps without quite so many orangutans. I'm really looking forward to this movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great analogy...Clooney is this generations' Eastwood. I can't think of a more compelling film artist in Hollywood right now. Just look back over his choices and films...he obviously has a "body of work" commitment to his career, rather than "let's make a quick buck" - the Ocean movies notwithstanding!

I'm a huge fan.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:21 PM

I had the opportunity to listen to Tony Gilroy speak after I saw the movie.

One interesting bit was that the movie kicked around for a while and Gilroy couldnt get it made. Steven Soderbergh became involved as a producer and convinced Clooney to look at the project. Clooney initialled wouldn't take a meeting with Gilroy since Clooney only wanted to direct it and had no interest in starring in the movie.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:36 PM

O Brother and Syriana convinced me on Clooney. Swinton's range is incredible. Yeah, can't wait to see this one.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:52 PM

Wow, I'm even more excited to see it now! Do you actively write reviews on other sites Dominic?
Old 10-13-2007, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a great analogy...Clooney is this generations' Eastwood. I can't think of a more compelling film artist in Hollywood right now. Just look back over his choices and films...he obviously has a "body of work" commitment to his career, rather than "let's make a quick buck" - the Ocean movies notwithstanding!

I'm a huge fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love Clooney, too...and I'm a huge fan, and will certainly see this movie...but I've always thought of him as more of this generation's Dean Martin, or perhaps, Sinatra. It's not just the success...it's the fact that he seems to be the perennial partyer, and no one seems to think it's weird, even though he's in his 40s. I distinctly remember all of the celebrities at the Oscars last year referring to him simply by his last name, like he's some legendary member of a football team. We never hear stories about him busting up a hotel room or having some sort of major psychological problem or breakdown. He just makes a movie(well), gets his millions, then flies off to bang some other supermodel half his age in one of his cinemaesque mansions in Hollywood or Italy or whatever. No one ever says anything bad about him either...there don't seem to be any tell-alls or slams in the media...no public feuds.

I dunno...the playboy thing just makes me think Rat Pack for some reason, and Clooney seems too nice to be Frank...so...Dean Martin.