Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2007, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Need help picking a major.. tell me about yours!

accounting.

job market is really strong, and finding a job is VERY easy if you go to a good accounting school. accounting is about as stable as it gets. i have 2 internships so far, one with a big 4 paid $50,000/yr in texas and the other (not big 4) paid $62,400/yr in new york. starting salary is the same.

accounting was the only business class i liked. if you're an analytical thinker, you should enjoy it. there are 2 main types of accounting that most start in: tax accounting or auditing. tax accounting is very technical, auditing is based more into soft skills, so most people find a good fit in one or the other.

biggest point: practicality. few majors are more practical than accounting. plus, experience with the big 4 will provide you with a crapload of oppourtunity in the future.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:29 PM

finance
=
monies
=
hookers and blow

winnar!
Old 10-13-2007, 06:13 PM

Mechanical Engineering

I am not really sure why
Old 10-13-2007, 07:44 PM

Location: tell them ill be here when they come 4 me, me and every single n1gga dat got love 4 me, see i got money on my mind, but the haters wont leave me alone, so im ridin everyday wit every pistol dat i own

[ QUOTE ]
anyone take sports management as a major?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-14-2007, 02:57 PM

Economics - It's the study of choices. If you want to see HOW the world really works, then go for economics. It'll explain everything in life.

My one professor has a bet that has been running for like 15 years or so, he said, "if anyone can find me an article that can't be applied to economics in some way, I will pay you $100." I doubt anyone is really looking, but it's the idea that counts.

The biggest problem I have with it is that I took some finance classes and economics and finance can go hand-in-hand at some points. Also, take notes and drawing supply/demand curves can take up alot of paper in your notebook if you're trying to get a point across. Also, one problem I have with Economics is that through all of the application you do, there are a lot of assumptions. That can only be explained because you can't take samples of economies and see how they react to changes. It's not like you can take lab mice and put them through different tests. The economy can only be studied as a whole, so any policy or change needs to be studied through assumptions to see how people will react.

Some ECON classes are more in depth than others, and some require more writing, while other schools are a little more difficult, but I really like economics alot (run-on sentence).

Read the book, "Freakonomics" and you'll see the power of Economics.

I like Economics because "it makes sense." It tells you why prices are the way they are, and why people behave the way they do.

Here are some topics of economics:

Economics of Sports*
Economics of Crime*
Economics of Human Resources*
Labor Economics
Economics of Tourism
Monetary Economics*
Macroeconomic Analysis*
Microeconomic Analysis*
Money & Capital Markets*
Econometrics (Econ and Statistics/Math combined)
Industrial Organization
Regulation of Industry
Government & Business
Managerial Economics
Public Finance
State and Local Finance
Economic Development
Economic History of the US
International Trade
International Finance
Economics of Health Services
Environmental Economics
Urban/Regional Economics
Economics of Labor Legislations

* Classes I am taking or have taken

Pretty much take a topic of your interest, and it can be applied to Economics in some way.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:33 PM

I've been looking into econ and math-related programs in Canada. Mostly U of T and University of MOntreal. It seems like the double-major that's most offered is econ + math (which is what I want - I think), but is there any difference between that and finance + math?
Old 10-14-2007, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been looking into econ and math-related programs in Canada. Mostly U of T and University of MOntreal. It seems like the double-major that's most offered is econ + math (which is what I want - I think), but is there any difference between that and finance + math?

[/ QUOTE ]

Econ is more analytical, less with numbers. You'll still do some finance related things, but you'll get more of the concept and why it is the way it is rather than diving deep into it and studying exactly what it is.

For example, bond prices. You'll study supply and demand of bonds. As Prices go up, Yield to Maturity goes down. You'll see the relationship in a chart of supply and demand and how the curves shift. And you'll look at the Liquidity Preference Model and see how when the Fed changes the money supply, interest rates are affected.

In finance, you'll study the equations and go through more calculations and concepts of coupon rates, different bonds (callable, convertible, discount, municipal, etc) and learn why interest rates are what they are with respect to inflation premiums, default risk premiums, liquidity premiums, etc.

Finance is more mathematically inclined, whereas Economics is more conceptually driven.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:19 PM

Engineering Physics (Applied Physics)
Only take this major if you have a passion for physics and math and can stand a whole lot of it. I enjoy trying to solve puzzles and problems and I also really like courses like Special Relativity and Quantum Mechanics stuff, so the major fit my interests pretty well.

Over half of the grads from my program go into higher education before joining the workforce, with science as advanced as this 4 years doesn't really get you much applicable stuff for industry. I'm only in my second year right now and I'm already getting a little bit burnt out from all the science. It's the hardest engineering discipline and it's really interesting and rewarding. It's also got a whole lot in common with pure math and pure physics degrees, so if you like that stuff then consider EngPhys.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Econ is more analytical, less with numbers. You'll still do some finance related things, but you'll get more of the concept and why it is the way it is rather than diving deep into it and studying exactly what it is.

For example, bond prices. You'll study supply and demand of bonds. As Prices go up, Yield to Maturity goes down. You'll see the relationship in a chart of supply and demand and how the curves shift. And you'll look at the Liquidity Preference Model and see how when the Fed changes the money supply, interest rates are affected.

In finance, you'll study the equations and go through more calculations and concepts of coupon rates, different bonds (callable, convertible, discount, municipal, etc) and learn why interest rates are what they are with respect to inflation premiums, default risk premiums, liquidity premiums, etc.

Finance is more mathematically inclined, whereas Economics is more conceptually driven.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the answer. I'm guessing finance would be better (coupled w/ math) for IB / finance - related fields right? Thing is, I can't find Finance as a major at any Canadian university. Is that a US thing? Anybody from Canada know of finance being a major?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the answer. I'm guessing finance would be better (coupled w/ math) for IB / finance - related fields right? Thing is, I can't find Finance as a major at any Canadian university. Is that a US thing? Anybody from Canada know of finance being a major?

[/ QUOTE ]

What school do you plan on going to and do they have a website?