Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 09-17-2007, 12:32 PM

Default Re: \"crazy\" hypo

[ QUOTE ]
Let's say board is 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

You have 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the small blind. You pot, all fold except one guy who repots. Stacks are deep.

Against some people I could fold this.

[/ QUOTE ]
well if there's any time to fold it it will be in this kind of situation (OOP, lots of money left behind, very big draw possible, you can comfortably put the guy on a big draw, you have your own outs). That much should be obvious.

But can you explain exactly against who you could fold this, and why?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let's say board is 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

You have 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] in the small blind. You pot, all fold except one guy who repots. Stacks are deep.

[/ QUOTE ]
well if there's any time to fold it it will be in this kind of situation (OOP, lots of money left behind, very big draw possible, you can comfortably put the guy on a big draw, you have your own outs). That much should be obvious.

[/ QUOTE ]

The stack sizes would have to be just right. Because if there was A LOT of money left behind we could just call and see a turn card.

If we weren't that deep then we might be priced in.

And even if we took the trouble to calculate all this, I'm pretty sure every single person reading and posting in this thread is still not folding.
Old 09-17-2007, 12:47 PM

only if i was playing the hand for my life
Old 09-17-2007, 01:36 PM

As a Brit-by-proxy, you should be aware there are theoretical examples, LA, in very multi-O where you should pass top set HU.

gl

bdd
Old 09-17-2007, 01:47 PM

Ok maybe if were playing 6 card deep stacked omaha, but in all the hands I've played of 4-card omaha it's honestly never come up. There was a couple of hands I had in 6-card omaha where I did raise someone who had top set and made it wrong for them to call, but they still didn't play that horribly.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

again, i don't think i'd ever fold in reality. but i did some analysis of situations as described in which my hand is basically face up and my opponent's hand is a big draw (but which one exactly is unknown to me), and i found that it can be a surprisingly marginal spot.

the main implication i was thinking of are: 1) that sets are overrated when the money is very deep, esp oop -- because when you get a lot of action your opponents are probably going to play against your hand very well on later streets while you're going to be in the dark. they can be a little bit like aces preflop in this way. 2) it supports my long-held belief that, contrary to hold-em, where made hands can be played fine out of position, but draws generally need to be played in position, in omaha the opposite is true. 3) it reminds me that there are a number of situations where you're practically certain to have the "best" hand and you almost know that your opponent is bluffing or semi-bluffing, but where you should still be able to fold without regret. at the very least there are a lot of spots where the likely best hand should be played fairly passively, since your opponent is going to have the advantage on future streets. there's some other stuff rolling around in my head, but i'll keep this short.

none of this is really breakthrough or anything, i guess it was just that when i looked at some of these spots in depth (basically doing backwards induction analysis assuming opponent played optimally), i was a little surprised to see that some of these obvious truths may be even more true than i, or some others, would have suspected.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:29 PM

You never played 13+ card Omaha. You're practically a virgin [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

gl

bdd
Old 09-17-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You never played 13+ card Omaha. You're practically a virgin [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

gl

bdd

[/ QUOTE ]

could you please make a starting hand chart for 13 card omaha? Do you prefer AAKKQQJJTT998 or AKQJT98765432?
Old 09-17-2007, 04:56 PM

The second one looks good for hilo.

The key is not to look at all the cards before the flop.

The (slightly) amusing bad case of the nut set I was thinking of was an apocryphal story of a guy who had top set on the turn, the nuts, and had no cards to win.

gl

bdd
Old 09-17-2007, 05:14 PM

besides i'm retarded. obviously AAKKQQJT98765 would be better than both.