Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Coaching deal suggestion.

dunno if this goes here, but it seems fairly appropriate.

so my (older) brother is a bum who quit his job since he has lots of afternoon classes this semester, so he told me that it would be a good idea after we move in for me to teach him poker. i had "taught" him poker before, basically gave him absolutely basic hand selection advice at 1c2c FR and $200, and he lost it all, with remarks somewhere along the lines of "i was treating it like a game and not taking it that seriously" and "i bluffed too much". he is probably fairly likely to tilt as far as personality goes, but he's smart and a fast learner. so now since he doesn't have a job anymore but wants some money, i figured it'd be good if he picked up poker, but the problem is that it seems like a big waste of my time and very tedious for me to teach a 5c10c player so that he can make $10 an hour when obviously i don't really get any monetary gain out of this, plus i am definitely not the best 5c10c teacher since i haven't played those stakes in forever and don't really have any experience teaching somebody the basics of the game. so this is what i came up with.

i am a solid winning 3/6-5/10 player, and i offer coaching around $200-$250 an hour, and haven't played microstakes in a long time. most of you are 50NL-200NL players, who are close enough to their roots that they are not only capable of teaching a new player the basic of basics (and teaching it well), but also in the position that they can benefit substantially from coaching from a better player. so we could do some kind of a deal. that is, i coach player X for 1 hour, and then player X gives 3 to 4 hours of coaching to my brother, so that i can use my coaching skills to their maximum capacity, coaching someone who can benefit much more from the skillset i have to offer, and i also don't have to put in lots of boring mind-numbing time teaching an NL10 player.

this might not be the place for it but it sounds like it could work if i get some people willing to do it. however, it isn't very effective if i just decide on one person and he decides he wants 1 hour of coaching a week because he doesn't want to waste too much time teaching my brother, so he doesn't get coached enough to get on his feet quickly because the person i'm dealing with is stingy, so having multiple people with whom we can make such a deal seems advantageous.

thoughts? offers? suggestions?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:51 PM

Default Re: Coaching deal suggestion.

no one? not even a little?
Old 09-01-2007, 11:53 PM

just [censored] teach your brother how to play. if anything it will be a bonding thing.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:54 PM

You forgot to include the link to your coaching/affiliate website
Old 09-01-2007, 11:55 PM

in for 1:2 hours
Old 09-02-2007, 12:00 AM

I'll do it for 1:3 (actually serious) though I honestly haven't played micros in like 14 months.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
just [censored] teach your brother how to play. if anything it will be a bonding thing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-02-2007, 12:14 AM

Bro, just teach your brother the game and help him get started with his bankroll again. I thinking expecting something beyond helping your blood learn the game is lame. Everything shouldn't be about a monetary benefit. I've seen you play and I'm sure you earn more than enough money to where you don't need anything from him but his undivided attention. Take this also as a potential oppurtunity to get closer with him. Sheesh, some of you guys need to quite having the "What'$-in-it-my-me" attitude and instead, GIVE the gift that potentially keeps on GIVING. My goal is to eventually play $400NL and if and when I do make it there with a decent earn, I will have no problem teaching my twin brother AND my best friend how play for practically nothing.
By then, financial compensation from them will be far from the first thing on my mind. GL with your brother.
Old 09-02-2007, 12:34 AM

I don't think OP wants a SSNL reg to coach his little brother because of the money. He seems to be saying that he hasn't played so low in awhile that it would be hard to teach him to beat these stakes. I don't think a winning style at 1000NL is the optimal approach to 10NL
Closed Thread