Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL

Old 08-18-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: seriously why do i keep stacking off with qq pf?

I'm with Sunny here. I also play QQ preflop pretty cautiously preflop at various levels, and I think that's fine for all games between 25-100, and most nl200 games, but some nl200 games and most games above that you need to stand up to pressure much more and get it in early, IMHO.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:00 AM

What stakes do you play, QQ is good pretty often in 5/10+ and probably in 3/6+ too. Think people are alot less likely to 3bet/4bet or call ai with medium/weak hands in the lower games fwiw.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:48 AM

Victor, as Sunny said, it's situation dependent and image dependent. But I'm sure you already know this, so I'll try to give some examples instead. For all of the examples, let's assume 100 BB stacks and villain's stats that are somewhat normal. Yeah, if a villain is 10/3, you could probably even fold KK, but that's an extreme case.

In a blind battle, I'm almost never folding QQ preflop. Example:
CO opens for 14, hero (BB) 3-bets to 50, CO makes it 150.
I shove here everytime. His range includes lots of hands that you beat (possible JJ/TT) and of course AK, as well as the occasional bluff 4-bet. Factor in the fact that many players 4-bet AK 100% of the time, while they flat call AA/KK some of the time, and that makes a shove very +EV.

Example 2:
UTG opens for 14, hero 3-bets in the BB to 50, UTG makes it 150.
This is a situation where I'm more likely to fold, especially if UTG is TAG and definitely if UTG is a nit. Sure, the same rule applies that AK is weighted more heavily, but his range is much tighter from UTG, and if he knows that you know that, then your range for 3-betting is much tighter as well. So either he's trying to fold out your good hand (unlikely), or more likely he has you crushed. Of course, if UTG is 30/20, I'm shoving here.

Example 3:
Hero (CO) opens to 14, SB 3-bets to 50, BB shoves for 400.
I find that this is AA/KK so much more of the time than it is AK, so I fold here.

In all of the examples above, I'm assuming that I'm playing a standard TAG style. If I were a 30/20 LAG, I don't think I could ever see folding QQ preflop without some kind of read or an rather rare situation. On the other hand, if I'm a 15/10 player, when people 4-bet me, it's very likely that I'm toast as they know my range is really tight, yet they're still coming at me.

It really just comes down to your reads on the players and the situation. But that's probably all everyone ever tells you on the forums, so I'll stop. There are some players whose 4-bet always = AK, while for others it's not true. I guess just watch people carefully to figure out what their ranges are. There are also some players who make obvious "please fold I have AK" 4-bets, while for many it is always the same size. In these situations it's easy to know when to shove TT for value.