Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 05-23-2007, 10:02 AM

Location: Here I am, brain the size of a planet and I can\'t beat the 2 cent O/8 game on UB. Depressing, isn\'t it?
Default Re: Verbal Attacks

This is a perfect example of the downside of TV poker. Yes, TV saved poker but it pretty much killed good manners.

Bav is right about one thing though, OP needs to make friends with a facial reconstrucion surgeon if he is going to agitate people that clearly aren't wrapped very tight.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:20 PM

lol re: glub glub glub.

Totally standard and common grouchy table griping here. Happens aaaaaaall the time.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think its funny, but you've got to anticipate the reaction of others. In the end, what you did was very counter-productive. The best most profitable table is a loose, happy, gambling table.

[/ QUOTE ]

As in, not the Foxwoods 10-20.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Two incidents happened this weekend at Foxwoods 10/20 LHE that surprised me.

Next day I'm raising LP with AJo. I get reraised by SB. A notorious loose passive player calls in BB. Flop is QT8r a double belly buster for me. Turn is a blank. I call flop and turn bets. River is a 9. Its checked to me and I bet. SB folds. BB calls. I flip the straight and after I take in the chips, the SB, a solid man outweighing me by at least 40 lbs. with a military like buzz cut who is sitting two seats from me, leans towards me full of rage and spits out the word "Fish" rather loudly. I'm stunned and do the first thing that comes to mind - which is suck in my cheeks, pucker my lips and make a fish face moving my lips like the fish that I apparently am (hey at least I didn't say "Glub glub glub want to join the club?").

[/ QUOTE ]
Suckout? Ok. I guess buzzcut doesn't play online. Oh well. Good move. I raise any day on that spot. You have such good odds of hitting your hand. Its not a bad hand to call a raise and defend your blind. I'd do it. Can't wait to go to Foxwoods. You guys will love me. LOL.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any comments on my behavior would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt you will appreciate my comments. My first thought about halfway through your post was, grow up. You really made a fish face at another alleged adult? WFT? Sounds like you really have some issues.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I do have some issues. After 18+ years of therapy and 21+ years of Al-Anon I am still a work in progress. My issues here are related to growing up with an alcoholic verbally abusive ultra critical rageful father. This guy hit the trifecta with his one word. I felt criticized, embarassed, intimidated/afraid, and ultimately angry. And my quick reaction stemmed from subconsciously feeling like I had to defend myself as a small child against a powerful man. Back then I used my sense of humor and tried to make the other person feel what they had just made me feel - because in my house we weren't allowed to talk about our feelings. Kind of like giving them a taste of their own medicine - which is ironically a tradition adopted from native americans.

So I thank you for your comments, I do appreciate them. They made me think through the emotional aspects of the situation and awareness is the start of addressing these issues.

[ QUOTE ]
Remember, Poker doesn't build character but it definetely exposes it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My goal in life is to act with integrity, decency, and compassion. I am not perfect. When I am out of line I try to learn by admitting my mistakes and making amends. In this case my amends will be to try to think before reacting in situations like this. I will stand up for myself (as I did in the first incident) but I will take more care to be less offensive. Perhaps, next time I will have the peace of mind to ask him if he would prefer that I play better!
Old 05-23-2007, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any comments on my behavior would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

My first thought about halfway through your post was, grow up. You really made a fish face at another alleged adult? WFT? Sounds like you really have some issues.

[/ QUOTE ] I thought the fish face was the best part of this tale. Gotta love a realtime under stress display of extemporaneous humor.

[/ QUOTE ]
On behalf of my sub-conscious, my conscious thanks you.

[ QUOTE ]
Not so good was the choice of folks to aim it at. OP is gonna get his teeth handed to him someday with that sense of timing.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes - I see that now. And it is true he could easily have kicked the crap out of me. The only way I know how to fight is Cool Hand Luke style... I will take your implied advice and stop being such a master baiter.

On another note I want to thank you for your response here Bav and your considered responses throughout this forum. I get a lot from them.

And I want to thank everyone else who took the time to respond as well.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:57 PM

cool story...the one thing that i'll say is that i was very mad (over getting aces cracked or not), and you made a fish face at me, that might push me over the edge...

just sayin'...

that said, i think it's hilarious that you did it. i'm just glad you didn't do it to me, but make no mistake, if i was at the table, i would've laughed pretty hard...
Old 05-23-2007, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I thought the fish face was the best part of this tale. Gotta love a realtime under stress display of extemporaneous humor.

Not so good was the choice of folks to aim it at. OP is gonna get his teeth handed to him someday with that sense of timing.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed totally, that's i was getting at on both levels...if i would've read the thread, i would have just quoted that...

extremely funny, clowned the [censored] out of him, but be careful who you embarrass when they're mad..
Old 05-23-2007, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps, next time I will have the peace of mind to ask him if he would prefer that I play better!

[/ QUOTE ]

I did something kinda similar(*). I've decided that next time that happens to me, I'm going to say "I'm still learning." Which is true... and sort of a triple-reverse-psychological comeback that nobody will quite know how to take. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

(*) The story I posted, somehow(?) got moved to the German BBV forum -- which is kinda funny. Maybe I should learn how to say "I'm still learning" in German?!?
Old 05-24-2007, 01:57 AM

Next time tell the guy to go [censored] himself. You won the hand no matter how well (or badly) you played it. Unless you're a professional, there's no reason to take crap at the table for EV.

BTW, I'm storing up the fishface. Of course, my nose has been broken 7 times and I'm 6'9" 280. Thanks for posting!