Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 02-04-2007, 08:24 PM

Default Re: The Well: Tom Bayes

[ QUOTE ]

Most "adjustments" are geared towards how the typical 2-7 tourney player plays as opposed to the cash game regulars. My experience has shown me that most of the semi-decent tourney players (not the real donks) play very straight-forward and are always trying to make the nuts and miss lots of value bets and rarely snow and/or bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Most of the play is incredibly passive. But I have seen some of passive but otherwise solid players doing well nut-peddling, whereas its usually more hit or miss with my higher variance style. My opinion though about the adjustments is that basically its fine to play my normal high variance game big stacked, or short stacked, but with around 10-15 big bets I think its best to play just a tad more conservatively- which just means tightening up ever so slightly in sb vs bb hands, and reigning in the river value-betting range a hair too. But somewhat paradoxically when you do decide to play a hand with 10-15 bets, its better to 3-bet pre than to call, just to try and get it heads up.
[ QUOTE ]

I have less success picking off rough value bets and bluffs in tourneys than cash games. If you pat with a rough 8 or a nine and someone bets into you, you are almost always beaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely

[ QUOTE ]

*TT* really hates sixes and I believe a TD tourney player should really hate them as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

6s are the devil!
[ QUOTE ]

Oh, and finally, I have to admit that I believe 2-7 TDL is actually a variant of poker that is not terribly well suited to tourney play. Notice that the size of these tourneys has really fallen off.

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience has been thats its fairly easy to build a stack early, but then when the blinds start getting high you are going to have to win some key hands. In both of the ones that I have have won I was either reduced to nothing or arrived at the final table with no chips and came back. When it gets HU with both players having 10-15 big bets, it is a total crap shoot.
[ QUOTE ]

I think Stars would find a larger audience for NL Kansas City lowball. That's an awesome tourney game. I played a bit on GamesGrid but that site had no player base.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played in a few of those with you and you always outlasted me. It does seem a little surprising that stars doesn't offer KCL since they offer NL and PL TDL.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:53 PM

Talk more about soko. I like it a lot because I like stud and it has the added element of four-straights/flushes making AKs a monster, whereas in five stud it's not that good against, say, 22. Do you think that people would play soko and five stud more if they could.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Talk more about soko. I like it a lot because I like stud and it has the added element of four-straights/flushes making AKs a monster, whereas in five stud it's not that good against, say, 22. Do you think that people would play soko and five stud more if they could.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regular five card stud won't make a comeback. There's just not enough action in this game. I tried it as a limit game at Paradise a few years back and I found it so boring unless there was a terrible donator in the game.

I think sökö would be a bit more popular (but still no bigger than other niche games like triple draw or badugi) if it was spread online anywhere besides the B2B Network. The game is usually played pot-limit so there's a decent bluffing element to the game. Also, the four-straights and four-flushes make certain hands (like high suited connectors) more playable and others (like small pairs and unsuited Ax, Kx hands) less playable than in standard 5CS. My experience in small tourneys at B2B was that a lot of bad players would call far too much to chase those hands and a surprising number of players would pay off when they were board-locked. I haven't played a hand of sökö since B2B banned Americans.

Here's an old thread about sökö from about 2 years ago when Al Mirpuri helped me out. I kind of miss the game.

Telesina is another sicko stud variant. It's played with a 32 card deck (stripped of deuces through sixes). The game proceeds as 5CS, but a community 6th street card is dealt at the end and you make your best 5 card hand. I only ever got to play this game in freerolls, but it was pretty volatile. A lot of that was because it was impossible to keep some people from seeing all six cards.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Posters like DeathDonkey and *TT* give us different perspectives on the LAG and TAG way to play. *TT* really hates sixes and I believe a TD tourney player should really hate them as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think my hate for 6's is a bit exagerated, there is a time and a place for everything. For example I'll open with 236 in the CO without fail in every game I have ever played, and I'll call in the BB with that hand too. In the small blind its a bit more situation dependant, I have been known to dump it because I felt its going to be too hard to play out of position but that isn't a common scenario. I will however dump something like 26 in the BB to a raise, or drop the 6 if its limped to me in the BB and I have a hand like 36xxx. 6's are dangerous, but not deadly.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never been to Vegas

[/ QUOTE ]

this is unacceptable.
Old 02-05-2007, 10:17 AM

I'm out of the well.