Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2007, 07:40 AM

Default Ways to improve the all star game.

The NHL all star game was a couple of days ago, and as usual it turned into a game of shinny with a ridiculous score. Since then every sports station in my market has been discussing how to improve the NHL all star game (actually, this discussion takes place after the all star game in every sport). There is talk of taking the voting away from the fans, and making the game 'worth' something.

What I want to know is why? Who cares if all star games suck? Do people have a realistic expectation that the players are going to go all out? Are leagues really dumb enough to think that someone who hates a sport will a good all star game and instantly fall in love?
Old 01-27-2007, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Ways to improve the all star game.

Only one in living memory that was good was a few years ago Iverson and Mutumbo teamed up with some intense defense and led a comeback against the West. The Sixers ended up trading for Dikembe and going to the NBA Finals.

But ya, ASG's generally suck. Read Simmons's article on the NBA ASG weekend , which is supposed to be pretty surreal.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:23 AM

An All-Star game is supposed to be a game in which the fans vote the players they want to see most in a game amongst their peers. There is nothing in some hidden rulebook that says you must vote who you think the best player in the league is.

Everybody knows Shaq isn't the best center in the league, but people want to see him there. So, he got there.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:28 PM

Jagr not making the team was shocking. Not because of the season he was having (although it was decent), but because fans didn't vote him in.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:41 PM

The NHL can start by not having the game on Wednesday night. I didn't even realize this was All-Star midweek untill it was too late.

Oh yeah, having one every year would probably be a good idea as well.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The NHL can start by not having the game on Wednesday night. I didn't even realize this was All-Star midweek untill it was too late.

Oh yeah, having one every year would probably be a good idea as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The NHL is trying out mid-week because it can't compete with football at this time of year. It also means that they don't lose a weekend, where the NHL gate is traditionally strongest. It's actually not a bad time for it - during the sports graveyard that is the week after the NFL Championship games.

What can improve the NHL all-star game? Nothing. It's an All-Star game. No one wants to get hurt and hockey is a physical contest.

Boot, Jagr has had one great season in the last 4 - tell me why you think the fans should vote him in.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The NHL is trying out mid-week because it can't compete with football at this time of year

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome. I'll keep this in mind tomorrow when I'm watching tapes of last weeks NFL games.

Can a sports league be run any worse?
Old 01-27-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jagr not making the team was shocking. Not because of the season he was having (although it was decent), but because fans didn't vote him in.

[/ QUOTE ]

To my understanding I thought he made it but decided not to go becasue of a minor shoulder injury.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:54 PM

I actually thought this years NHL all star game was cool. Amazing score line.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The NHL is trying out mid-week because it can't compete with football at this time of year

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome. I'll keep this in mind tomorrow when I'm watching tapes of last weeks NFL games.

Can a sports league be run any worse?

[/ QUOTE ]

The NHL gets most of its viewers on Saturday night games, and nobody gives a crap about the all-star game.

EDIT: And, NBC broadcasts Saturday afternoon, and I think that's the only game they play weekly. It would be foolish to cancel their only national broadcasts in the US.

The game was good this year, though. For having no defense, anywya.