Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy

Old 11-14-2006, 08:40 PM

Default Day 2 Hand vs. Pro at WPF

Back fromt he WPF which has to have one of the worst structures for a WPT event I've ever seen. Anyway, here is the hand:

Day 2, blinds at 1.5k/3k, 400 ante

I have 140kish in chips. My image is pretty rock like at this table. I have shown down basically nothing, but am up from like 111k when I got to the table from taking a pot off the BB in this hand when he was on the button. In fact, Pete Giordano (fine, not a huge name pro) has commented how tight I play.

I am UTG+1 with 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and raise to 9k. Folded to Giordano on the button (he has about 165k). Since he's come to the table he's been talking a lot and being fairly active, but showing most of his hands and they've been pretty strong. He reraised somebody with 27 from the SB when they opened on the button, but at the time, I didn't think he's a maniac or anything close to it. He thinks for a while and calls. BB (chips irrelevant) see's way too many flops and makes the call.

Flop: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Pot: 32.5k

BB Checks, I check, Giordano perks up to attention and bets 20k. BB folds, I call

I really didn't like betting here.

Giordano yells pair the board and cause he's a pro:

Turn: 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check, Giordano bets 40k, I contemplate options, Giordano says, "If you fold, I'll show," I say, "ok, I'm all in"

I go all in for like 70kish more.

Thoughts on the hand? Do people bet the flop here? How about betting the turn vs. checkraising all in? Any other way people play this hand.

I usually think a lot more through hands than I did with this one, but in retrospect I think I like the way I played it, but I am pretty inexperienced in tournaments, so I'm not sure.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:51 PM

Default Re: Day 2 Hand vs. Pro at WPF

[ QUOTE ]
Giordano yells pair the board and cause he's a pro:

[/ QUOTE ]

Subtle. He was ahead of you PF and on flop, wasn't he?

Intrigued and just gonna watch this one.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:55 PM

i don't personally like the check/call on the flop. a check/raise is better. it seems like this giordano guy smells weakness on you when you don't cbet so he made one for you. some players will bet out on the flop. if he calls though im not sure where that leaves you on the turn.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:09 PM

It's hard to really get any information without betting the flop. He's bet 2 streets for a significant portion of his stack, and you've checked 2 streets OOP. I don't think you're ahead, and I don't think he's laying down anything that has you beat.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:15 PM

Another thing to consider, what do you think he has here? Is it possible he will be laying down a hand I beat? Would he call with a hand I beat?
Old 11-14-2006, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing to consider, what do you think he has here? Is it possible he will be laying down a hand I beat? Would he call with a hand I beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

do you have fold equity on the turn? not really.....by then he's already committed a big portion of his stack so he will prolly call with a better 9, an over pair, or a 7. so you'll only beat a total bluff. thyis hand seems really read dependent. and it seems like the reads you have given us that he is a bluffer trying to push you around. As i said i think i would check/raise flop. if he checks behind you on the flop then bet on turn
Old 11-14-2006, 09:35 PM

the trouble is,

the beat thinks you have a draw of some sort, so if the board pairs, he will stay ahead (unless it's the 5h). further trouble comes from your push - if he thinks you're drawing, he can probably beat the board (it's unlikely he'll call with like 44).

I don't know, though. I think you have to bet this flop, or else you're left in a nasty situation.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:38 PM

I don't mind the play in general against a 'pro' because your tight image should get them to fold out TT/JJ type hands but I have played with Pete a number of times and he is looking you up with A9s+ here every time.

Pete is loose enough that he could have a fairly wide range on the button vs. an EP raiser and aggro enough to fire 2 barrels with air when he thinks that you have AK/AQ.

I don't think that there is any chance that he will fire another barrel if he is behind but if you think that you are ahead I like your push to try to take down the pot as it stands.

My advice would just be to go with your read on this one. Pete isn't that good at disguising physical tells so if you think he has TT/JJ then fold to his turn bet, if you think he has air then cal him...
Old 11-14-2006, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the trouble is,

the beat thinks you have a draw of some sort, so if the board pairs, he will stay ahead (unless it's the 5h). further trouble comes from your push - if he thinks you're drawing, he can probably beat the board (it's unlikely he'll call with like 44).

I don't know, though. I think you have to bet this flop, or else you're left in a nasty situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, for one: Pete is an idiot and we really should not read too much into his pair the board comment. If the villains image is as tight as he thinks it is, Pete has him on AK/AQ almost always to be betting like this. The only draw pete might have him on is big hearts.

Also, I forgot to mention in my last post, I really don't like the Pf raise OOP. If you are adamant about making a play with this hand at least limp-raise it and represent a monster. I am almost always folding pf here given the stack sizes (even with your tight image.) Obviously this is a 'Caro loose wiring' type hand though where you almost always fold too but decided to go for it this time.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree, for one: Pete is an idiot and we really should not read too much into his pair the board comment. If the villains image is as tight as he thinks it is, Pete has him on AK/AQ almost always to be betting like this. The only draw pete might have him on is big hearts.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, in that case, what is Giordano laying down to a turn shove then?