Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: SB unraised pot, 76o
4-1 4 19.05%
5-1 4 19.05%
6-1 0 0%
7-1 6 28.57%
8-1 2 9.52%
9-1 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-27-2006, 01:43 PM

Default Actually making money - Forum Project

Due to Nato76's recent inspiring posts about internet marketing and affiliate programs, I have seen a flurry of posts on this forum asking for advice and other information regarding this newfangled internet thing. Could this be easier money than poker? Maybe so. Who knows...? At the very least it is always smart to diversify yourself. Especially now with the recent legislation a lot of us Americans are uncertain if our favorite source of easy money will dry up or not.
My proposal to you is this...

The Making Money Forum Project!

Let's figure internet advertising out together. I have some experience in this area, as I own a modest video game fan site which makes about $500-$1000/month. Hopefully I can also persuade Nato76 to join in and give us a little guidance as well. Ideally I will get 100-300 more of you interested as well to help out.
The plan is this.
1. We vote on an interest area. I would like to suggest sports, video games, or "how to make money on the internet" as possible candidates, since I think those would appeal to a lot of us and also a lot of other people. I am open to other suggestions. I didn't think poker was a good option since most of the money to be made with poker is through affiliates, and us Americans may have a hard time collecting on that, but if someone knows the situation better, then gambling could also be a good topic as well.

2. We each register a domain. The domain should be targetted to a niche, but also related to the groups interest area. Then each individual will have to cough up a little cash to host his own domain. If you feel like helping Nato out he has an affiliate code for hostgator.com that you can PM him for. If you already have hosting you can just point your domain to a subfolder with your host. If you would like a different recommendation, PM me.

3. The group will set up their websites. I am interested in learning about CMSes so maybe we'll try one or two of those out. We'll all link to each other, and then automatically, you'll have 100-200 incoming links. This helps in two ways. You get traffic directly from other folks sites and you increase your ranking in the search engines to get more traffic that way as well.

4. Each person in the group is assigned 3 "buddies" from the larger group. This will be distributed a little so everyone is helped. Now whatever you do to promote your site, you have to agree to do it to your 3 buddies as well. If you submit your URL to a web directory, then submit your buddies' too. If you get a friend of a friend who owns another website to give you a link, then get him to link to the other three guys too. etc... In search engines, links are everything. Google places a very high importance on links. This will increase your ranking in the search engine and ultimately drive more traffic.

5. Put ads on your site, from google adsense or otherwise. This won't be that important in the first month or so. In time however it will become extremely important. All the income is yours. The more you promote the site the more you will make. Nato76 is a prime example of how successful this can be.

6. I am not going to make a hard rule like your site has to be Page Rank 3 by month 4 or you're out, but if the rest of the group gets a couple levels ahead of an obvious moocher, we are going to cut you. No freeloading. The project will be more successful for everyone involved if we all make a little effort to get more traffic.

OK, so lets use this thread to get started. Suggest some interest areas and we'll get the ball rolling. I think it will be interesting to see if this process can be easily replicated over and over making us all very rich. In any case it will only cost you about a $100 if the experiment is a total failure. I estimate you'll only have to spend 3-4 hours a week on this.

Also if you are in email me at mxt196@yahoo.com
Use the subject line "Project Make Me Rich"
I won't be able to keep track as easily with PMs.

Max
Old 10-27-2006, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Actually making money - Forum Project

Oh, I thought I should mention that there is no technical knowledge requirement. You'll learn anything that you need to know, and its not that technical an undertaking anyway.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:56 PM

I've a releative newbie to IM. But I've also just gotten started within the past week with some help from nato. I'm VERY interested in a project like this.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:57 PM

i'm definitely in

sounds like a great plan
Old 10-27-2006, 02:06 PM

I really like this idea. I vote for the making money on the internet. A lot of people are interested in things like playing poker online, online trading, Internet marketing, etc.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:39 PM

I'm definitely intersted, but i'm not sure I'm understanding the details of it all. Are we all working together in a unit on one area of focus or are we all finding a different area of focus and then starting from the ground up together....while giving support to one another and sharing ideas and information?
Old 10-27-2006, 02:44 PM

I am also interested!
Old 10-27-2006, 02:45 PM

I'm definitely interested.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:48 PM

Location: Irvine, CA (originally from Taipei, Taiwan! ROC represnt)

i'm a complete novice in this area but am willing to put in some work to see how things go. if anyone can help me with the basics i'll be willing to learn. count me in
Old 10-27-2006, 03:37 PM

First thing we have to do is vote on an interest. How about adding a poll?