Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Why my local news sucks more than yours.

[ QUOTE ]
All local news sucks. I didn't know anybody still watched it.

"Tonight at 11: What's in your drinking water? You'll be shocked at what we found! Could this sexual predator be living in your neighborhood? A house burns down, killing eleven children--could this happen to your home?..."

[/ QUOTE ]

Im just guessing here, but do you live in Atlanta? If so, then that's WSB...news you can count on.. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2006, 04:20 PM

My local news had one of its news reporters review a hotdog cooker (those things at the gas station), for one its stories. It is a terrible station, and its lead anchor resigned a month ago or so. He was very good, but probably got a feeling that local news is terrible now (although he did not say anything like that while resigning).
Old 10-19-2006, 04:24 PM

I'm always wondering who's watching local news...it has to be the absolute worst stuff on TV. I have a friend who just quit her job as an on-air reporter for Channel 8 in Las Vegas...she was there two years and was only making $40,000! Crazy.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm always wondering who's watching local news...it has to be the absolute worst stuff on TV. I have a friend who just quit her job as an on-air reporter for Channel 8 in Las Vegas...she was there two years and was only making $40,000! Crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old people. That's why they spend 13 minutes on weather. Old people are obsessed with it for some reason.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Old people. That's why they spend 13 minutes on weather. Old people are obsessed with it for some reason.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I don't see how local news hasn't reached critical mass yet. A long-time reporter with a local station gave us a talk once and pointed out the expansion of local news over the years. Locally the networks are airing news from like 4 or 5AM until 7AM, then most of them have Noon, 5, 6, and 10 broadcasts - and this last broadcast is usually 35-40 minutes and bumps back the late night shows, even though reporters will tell you there's really only like 7-8 minutes of actual "news" per show, so it could easily go just a half an hour.

The byproduct of this expansion is that it is an increasingly sh1tty industry to work in, as the hours get longer. Plus, no way I'd want to be either a morning or evening anchor - the morning ones have to get up at like 2AM and the evening ones apparently get to the studio by like 2PM and are there until at least 11PM. No thanks.

If there is one improvement in the industry over the years it's that the broads have gotten a lot hotter. There's probably a lot of 50 YO unemployed meteorolgists sitting around who didn't see this coming.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:05 PM

Posted a few months ago...but if you missed it, here is a shining example of my hometown news.
Leprachaun
Old 10-19-2006, 05:09 PM

The local news here is probably average at best, and we have the misfortune of getting our US channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX) from Spokane, Washington.

I don't watch their local news anymore, but 20 years ago before CNN and other all news channels I did. Nothing more interesting than watching high school football highlites from a city you've never been to, and in another country.

At least I know how to pronounce Spokane and Gonzaga correctly. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2006, 05:17 PM

Your local news brings all the boys to the yard.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The local news here is probably average at best, and we have the misfortune of getting our US channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX) from Spokane, Washington.

I don't watch their local news anymore, but 20 years ago before CNN and other all news channels I did. Nothing more interesting than watching high school football highlites from a city you've never been to, and in another country.

At least I know how to pronounce Spokane and Gonzaga correctly. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, this is great. I used to work at KHQ, I always forgot that we were seen in Canada.

Someday I'll upload all of the bloopers I have saved up, and you guys can see some real local news suckitude.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing more interesting than watching high school football highlites from a city you've never been to, and in another country.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. I always flip by and they're showing highschool and college sports all news hour.