Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 11-30-2007, 08:03 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.
Default Re: The Ultra-Fi thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Vandy 2CE Sig is probably one of the best buys in high end audio.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

now you are just plain wrong - every Hi Fi reviewer / writer would agree to that. The Vandy's are the equivalent of the Dark Side of the Moon album - beyond a classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

well imo dark side of the moon isnt pink floyds best record so your example is poor.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you read the OP? Are you even thinking about design?

[/ QUOTE ]
The design of the Vandersteen (and Thiel and Dunlavy) speakers is multiple phase-coherent drivers mounted in a time coherent manner (such that the sound from each driver arrives at approximately the same time), using relatively simple crossover systems, mounted on relatively small baffles (except the Dunlavy).

Obviously not your cup of tea, but a nice, simple design nonetheless.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:06 PM

I just picked up a pair of these Spharons, they're ok, but I need to buy a new house now.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just picked up a pair of these Spharons, they're ok, but I need to buy a new house now.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of drivers do they carry? Compression?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The design of the Vandersteen (and Thiel and Dunlavy) speakers is multiple phase-coherent drivers mounted in a time coherent manner (such that the sound from each driver arrives at approximately the same time), using relatively simple crossover systems, mounted on relatively small baffles (except the Dunlavy).

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever heard a real time and phase coherent speaker (single driver or widerange speaker)?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever heard a real time and phase coherent speaker (single driver or widerange speaker)?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're implying that Thiel and Vandersteen are not time and phase coherent, then the answer is no (unless electrostatics count. I heard a full-range electrostatic once (forgot the brand name, though). Great with orchestral music. But I wasn't impressed with it's performance with rock music. Plus it was about $8k/pair).

I'm simply not as into "high-end" stereo as I was when I was single. Any other manufacturers you'd recommend (besides the one in the first post)?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:14 PM

I have PMC FB1+ speaker, and Cyrus MonoX Power and PreAmp. They sound great, and love them to bits!

The speaker came in at £1,200 ($2,500) and the amps where about £2,500 for the pair ($5,000)

The soundstage is amazing, im sure some of you have a lot nice systems but this setup is great. The HD650's ive got sound ace as well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-01-2007, 01:08 AM

I used to know a guy from back when I was going to Phish shows who was an audio engineer and showed me this website along time ago and was going to build the imperial folded horn cabinet. I lost touch with him and never heard if he got it done or how it sounded. THe claims on the imperial page sound untrue but he did not seem to think so and said it is all in the design and how the sound is moved in the cabinet. He worked for McIntosh doing something, I cannot recall what though. He knew his stuff at least with respect to mastering phish shows so much that the band own archivist was giving him previously untouched DATS from the early 90s to master for release on bt.etree.org (legal tracker). What is those of you who know your stuff take on Decware's stuff and have anyone purchased anything from them. You can even buy the plans for the cabinets which I think is pretty cool.

http://www.decware.com/newsite/mainmenu.htm

He was looking at this design.
http://www.decware.com/newsite/mainm....htm&intro

"On one occasion a club owner wanted to hear what one would do in his own place so he called us up. On the spur of the moment we had to take what we had so we packed up a single Imperial, my frequency generator, and an old Harmon Kardon Reciever with one channel blown. Just before we got this call, we had been experiementing with a unique driver arangement. We removed the 15 inch woofer, and replaced it with a 12 inch woofer that was already mounted in a 1 cubic foot sealed cube. The response of the woofer in the cube was 3 dB down at 120 cycles. Basically ZERO bass. We installed this cube into the Imperial with the woofer facing the back of the encosure. The original 15 inch speaker opening was sealed. Installed the response was a bit different. Starting at the same 120 cycles and measuring the SPL at 90 dB in the room we slowly started to sweep the frequencies down until at 28.5 cycles the SPL had risen to 118 dB. That's a 28 dB of gain at 28.5 cycles! I really can't begin to describe what happens at that frequency when you hit that SPL, but it's serious. We saw a mouse stagger out of a crack in the concrete floor and die."
Old 12-01-2007, 03:10 AM

one thing I was surprised with in my research for my first midlevel system was that while there were plenty of people calling out the myriad snake oil sellers and addicts, I didn't ever find source publication based on double blind testing. is there no such thing? and really not enough of a market for it? (Dunlavy's testing against live performance seemed to me like the most awesome thing of anything I read).
Old 12-01-2007, 04:53 AM

Pretty much everything even loosely related to the "audiophile" market is a scam, whenever anyone does a double blind test the audiophiles freak out(because they've just spent $400 on a volume knob and admitting they got took is too great a blow to the ego) and claim the test was invalid.