Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-19-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Re: stupid soccer offside argument

[ QUOTE ]
NHL would suck with soccer offsides.

And I have another question. Is it offsides if a player has the ball and is behind all the defenders, and he passes to another player who is behind all the defenders?

My guess is no.

[/ QUOTE ]

The player receiving the ball would need to be ahead of the ball when played to be offside. If he's behind it, he's not offside.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And I have another question. Is it offsides if a player has the ball and is behind all the defenders, and he passes to another player who is behind all the defenders?

My guess is no.

[/ QUOTE ]

The player receiving the ball would need to be ahead of the ball when played to be offside. If he's behind it, he's not offside.

[/ QUOTE ]

so he would be offsides though if it was played ahead to him by another player who was past the defenders?
Old 11-19-2007, 10:53 AM

Reason I ask is Im always nervous about making that pass in fifa.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My guess is no.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so he would be offsides though if it was played ahead to him by another player who was past the defenders?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because i know how much we all love MS paint

Old 11-19-2007, 01:09 PM

I've been a soccer referee for about 10 years now and offsides is the most fun rule evar

Nothing like pissing people off about a rule they know nothing about

(Soccer moms mostly)
Old 11-19-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dump the offside rule. Americans don't understand it. Offsides keep the scores low.
Use the hockey offside rule. Put in a blue line across the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have absolutely zero to back this up or proof it ever even existed. When I was in referee school however, I was told by an instructor that in England they experimented with removing the offside rule at many different levels of soccer.

Apparently (and surprisingly) it DIDNT make for higher scores, but rather a more unpleasant game tactically. The backs were forced to sit in more while both teams attempted to play long balls all game into their strikers.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting, and it would be cool if anyone knows more about this than I do (which admittedly is almost nothing) and could provide a link to a better explanation.

Stak
Old 11-19-2007, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Apparently (and surprisingly) it DIDNT make for higher scores, but rather a more unpleasant game tactically. The backs were forced to sit in more while both teams attempted to play long balls all game into their strikers.

[/ QUOTE ]

English soccer playing more long balls? Never would have imagined.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:54 PM

I never thought I would peruse through the official FIFA "Laws of the Game" but I just did.

I am very upset that it is officially not an offsides when a player receives the ball directly from a goal kick, but I have been called for that on xbox live before.

I also loled at the diagrams about when to give a player a yellow for removing his jersey.
Old 11-19-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dump the offside rule. Americans don't understand it. Offsides keep the scores low.
Use the hockey offside rule. Put in a blue line across the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have absolutely zero to back this up or proof it ever even existed. When I was in referee school however, I was told by an instructor that in England they experimented with removing the offside rule at many different levels of soccer.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting, and it would be cool if anyone knows more about this than I do (which admittedly is almost nothing) and could provide a link to a better explanation.

Stak

[/ QUOTE ]

FIFA regularly trials experimental rule changes in 'lesser leagues', usually outside Europe from what I've heard recently. Unsurprisingly, 'no offside' has been tried before and it ruined the game.