Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 11:33 PM

Default Re: Mid Limit Holdem Games in the Bay Area

this thread has been seriously HJed. back to the important issue; how can I make some money?
Old 11-08-2007, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread has been seriously HJed. back to the important issue; how can I make some money?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only speak for LHE, but the 8/16 and 20/40 games at Bay101 and GC are good games. They are different, but all are beatable and the 20/40 at both clubs can be quite good at times. The 20/40 isn't nearly as juicy as it was 12-18 months ago, but it's still a decent game. The Bay101 40/80 can be good as well, though it plays a lot tighter, with (mostly) stronger players. GC also has a 40/80, but it wasn't running the last time I was there, so I've yet to play it. I don't play higher than 40/80 so I can't speak for the 100/200, but others on this board are regulars and can comment on it if asked.

YMMV, but those are my thoughts.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the strategy forums below for starters. Sit, play good poker, profit.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:43 AM

heh I was referring to non-poker money sources; ie someone at 2p2 hook me up with a job. i needs a roll [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2007, 03:50 AM

I haven't played the AJs game very recently, but in the past it's been juicy as hell, softplay or not. It doesn't matter much that the regulars are checking it down when the best of them are limping UTG with 74o. I'm pretty sure you can make more money playing 15/30 at AJs than you can playing 20/40 at Bay 101. Incidentally, I've also heard complaints of the Chinese regulars speaking to each other during a hand, but the rare times I've been there they haven't been speaking about the hand. Basically I hear a lot of rumors about sketchiness at AJs, but I beat the game for a huge amount over a small period of time and didn't see anything except a normal amount of checking it down between regulars, same as I see everywhere.

The Oaks 30/60 game last year was about on par with the Bay 101 20, although I haven't been there in about a year. The Oaks 15 was a great game over a very small sample size.

The 20/40 at Bay 101 and GC are very beatable by even tight mediocre players. GC generally plays easier in my experience, but I rarely go there because I think the place sucks. GC 40 game has been pretty good to me when it runs. The "good" GC regulars are generally worse than the "good" Bay 101 regulars. I wouldn't be overly concerned with props in either San Jose card room - few of them are fish, most of them are decent but not stellar. Bay 101 40 varies from pretty good to terrible. 1/2 (from the perspective of someone who beats the 40 game) generally looks to be okay to bad. Every now and then I jump in when it looks good, but most often it's 6 or 7 decent to great players and 1 or 2 mediocre to bad ones, and often the bad ones buy in short and bust quickly.

I'd seriously doubt any rumors of crews working the 6/12 games in San Jose. Also, IMO Bay 101 has better dealers and better floormen than GC.
Old 11-08-2007, 04:45 PM

bay 101 is a substantially more professional environment than gc. gc is very lucky to still be running at all. the landlords want it gone, its previous owners nearly went to jail over issues with cash flow and were subsequently banned from the property, if not for the tax revenue it generates it would be history.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

fwiw, I have heard from other sources that AJ's 15/30 is stechy as hell and don't intend on playing it. Thanks for the info. Do you think 6/12 is legit?

[/ QUOTE ]

imo, the 6/12 is entirely legit at AJ & Oaks. its also legit at LC but i havent seen or heard of a decent session there since the 10-10-20 opened up basically.

the san jose 6/12 scene is questionable due to relentless rumors of crews and san pablo will strip years off your life just walking in the door.

[/ QUOTE ]

6/12 at AJs is legit from what Ive seen. Most of the check it down stuff I've seen is between blinds and hasnt had much an effect on the game.