Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Just rode an earthquake!

[ QUOTE ]
The scene at Bay101 was pretty interesting - people rushing to the exits and generally freaking out; several games broke almost immediately after it was over, with a bunch of players racking up and hitting the cage. I slid under the table and sort kept one hand above me on my chips, but the shaking was over just a few seconds after it started, followed by the inevitable. "OK, it's over. Did the button move? C'mon and deal already."

Definitely created a buzz in the room, and I think the release of adrenaline loosened up a few of players in my game once play resumed.

Glad no one was hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite the opposite for the 100-200 game. Before the quake, the game was great, but four people left afterwards, totally freaked out. They said "No rucky... Go home!" and did. The game slowed to a crawl and never got really cooking again. I left about an hour later.

I was in a pot when it happened. Somebody's chips fell down into it and it was a mess - people bolted from the table when the place started shaking and almost knocked over the table. I just sat there making sure nobody grabbed my chips. We reconstructed the pot afterwards and I ended up winning! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I just need to play during more earthquakes, clearly.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wow, AWESOME thread!

i just felt a bowel movement, it was exciting

[/ QUOTE ]
east coast bias

[/ QUOTE ]

solid
Old 10-31-2007, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah.. I feel bad for people in the SF Bay Area... they're screwed eventually... just a matter of when.

[/ QUOTE ]
So is LA. There is a lot of evidence that a few blind thrust faults are underneath the city, which equal pwnage for a lot of people.
Old 10-31-2007, 12:24 PM

The log10 Richter scale can give people a really off idea of magnitude. 5.6 is really nothing (I didn't feel it at all in SF). 6.6 would be 10x stronger ; Loma Prieta was around a 7.0 which makes it about 25X stronger.

It would be sort of funny in a horrible way if SF got smacked with a massive earthquake just as San Diego is getting torched by wildfires.

LOL at Wikipedia's Richter scale strength reference page. 12.0 magnitude = fault Earth in half through center.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The scene at Bay101 was pretty interesting - people rushing to the exits and generally freaking out; several games broke almost immediately after it was over, with a bunch of players racking up and hitting the cage. I slid under the table and sort kept one hand above me on my chips, but the shaking was over just a few seconds after it started, followed by the inevitable. "OK, it's over. Did the button move? C'mon and deal already."

Definitely created a buzz in the room, and I think the release of adrenaline loosened up a few of players in my game once play resumed.

Glad no one was hurt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite the opposite for the 100-200 game. Before the quake, the game was great, but four people left afterwards, totally freaked out. They said "No rucky... Go home!" and did. The game slowed to a crawl and never got really cooking again. I left about an hour later.

I was in a pot when it happened. Somebody's chips fell down into it and it was a mess - people bolted from the table when the place started shaking and almost knocked over the table. I just sat there making sure nobody grabbed my chips. We reconstructed the pot afterwards and I ended up winning! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I just need to play during more earthquakes, clearly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was one table over at the 40 game and saw your game thin out quickly -- seemed like some of the players couldn't leave that game fast enough.

We lost a few in our game, but a couple of the remaining players gambled it up immediately following the quake.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Felt it in Palo Alto. Just a five-second rumble. The USGS site says there is a 30% chance of damage causing aftershocks in the next week and a 5-10% chance of an equal or stronger shake in the next week.

GO WARRIORS!!! I don't think they even paused the game for the quake. No mention of it on the broadcast, unless I missed it when I went out to check if my motorcycle fell down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in the car at a stoplight at Santana Row and when it happened, I turned on the radio real quick. The Warriors game was on and Beidrins was on the line. The commentator said that an earthquake is probably a good thing when he's on the line.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:13 PM

I was at the warriors game and the quake didn't affect it at all. Sitting in the upper deck you could definitly feel it, but it took averyone a couple seconds to realize it was an eathquake.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
only one i've felt since i moved here a little over four years ago. its about damn time!

[/ QUOTE ]