Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 10-27-2007, 04:52 AM

Default Re: Anti-depressants

[ QUOTE ]
Out of curiosity more than criticism, why is the thinking on this forum so unsophisticated when it comes to matters of science?

Presumably the OP was evaluated for symptoms of major depression and prescribed an antidepressant. In his mind the logical next step is to ask for lay-opinions about whether or not that class of medication is helpful? And then the question is seriously entertained? Some of the responses even reminding me of the "home remedy" thread from a few weeks back.

I just find it interesting that in a forum like BBV, where the average age is likely to be 19 and the majority of posters likely have little or no college education, there is a clearly decipherable underlying level of critical thinking and logic permeating through even the most recreational threads whereas in this forum, where the average age rates to be a decade older and the average level of education almost certainly includes at least some college, you are more likely to run across a comment about how grandma cures the hiccoughs than you are to stumble across a sound criticism of some flimsy thinking.

It's just quite striking to juxtapose erudite, professional-level film critiques with campfirey 20-questions exerpts oozing with superstition and inanity.

I imagine my description of this observation will piss everyone off, but I suppose that type of response would only bolster my suspicions.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

*sigh*

Your assumptions are all wrong.

Do you really think I would come to an internet forum looking for opinions on hard science?

I am just looking for some shared experiences. (And these have been very helpful).

I find your tone so condescending, not to mention pretentiously phrased. So wordy, ugh.

Amusing that you came in so hard and got it so wrong.

Has given me something to smile about though [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-27-2007, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]

So it doesn't take too much to work out why I'm posting this!

Have thought about taking the pills for a while.

Does anyone have any thoughts / experience that they would like to share on this subject?

ie do they work?

[/ QUOTE ]

At the risk of raising the ire of irieguy, I would like to add to the thread. From what I have read or been told by professionals working in the field, anti-depressants are prescribed in attempt to correct a chemical imbalance in the brain.

When working properly, anti-depressants are supposed to correct the imbalance within 6-18 months. The correction is supposed to be permanent and once corrected, the medication is gradually stopped.

Since so little is known about individual brain chemistry, the prescribing of anti-depressants, both in type and dose, is a hit-or-miss affair. Multiple attempts may be required to find the "right" medicine and dose.

If anyone knows otherwise, I would be glad to hear if the above is not accurate in any way.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:07 AM

I was on Zoloft for a year. It saved me from the situation I was in at the time. I'm not sure that I actually learned my lesson from that, but it was very helpful at that point.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I just find it interesting that in a forum like BBV, where the average age is likely to be 19 and the majority of posters likely have little or no college education

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah we be so stopid in BBV. Please be for educating us.COLLEGE MUST MAKE YOU SMART! MY SOUSIN WENT TO THE COLLEGE AND HE MAKES 30K A YEAR NOW!
Old 10-27-2007, 09:56 AM

lol, I thought he was complimenting BBV and insulting the Lounge. Was he insulting both?
Old 10-27-2007, 10:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lol, I thought he was complimenting BBV and insulting the Lounge. Was he insulting both?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah
Old 10-27-2007, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Took paxil for 1 year and a half.

Even if I was suicidal at the time, if I could go back, I wouldn't use any anti-depressant.

If you can get over your depression without it, I suggest you do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

It affected my thinking and emotions in a weird way. I felt "artificially better", if you will. Combined with the side-effects like loss of libido, I was left wondering who I was and what I liked and where was I going in life.

Without it I felt depressed, but I least I was thinking clearly ; I understood the roots of my feelings.

Also once I started taking paxil, everyone went with the "clinical approach" with me. Like a schizophrenic who needs constant attention or something. It only made matters worse to have people literally spy on me and having to answer questions everyday.

I find it easier to get better when people don't EXPECT me to be clinically depressive.

EDIT: When people know you're depressed, their attitude towards you changes. And it sucks, because everytime you talk to them, it's like they're reminding you "hey, you're supposed to be suicidal!". I kept thinking "leave me alone dammit, I'm trying to get better!"
Old 10-27-2007, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
: When people know you're depressed, their attitude towards you changes. And it sucks, because everytime you talk to them, it's like they're reminding you "hey, you're supposed to be suicidal!". I kept thinking "leave me alone dammit, I'm trying to get better!"

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 10-27-2007, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just find it interesting that in a forum like BBV, where the average age is likely to be 19 and the majority of posters likely have little or no college education, there is a clearly decipherable underlying level of critical thinking and logic permeating through even the most recreational threads whereas in this forum, where the average age rates to be a decade older and the average level of education almost certainly includes at least some college, you are more likely to run across a comment about how grandma cures the hiccoughs than you are to stumble across a sound criticism of some flimsy thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess they didn't teach you how to make sentences at your college?
Old 10-27-2007, 12:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It affected my thinking and emotions in a weird way. I felt "artificially better", if you will. Combined with the side-effects like loss of libido, I was left wondering who I was and what I liked and where was I going in life.

Without it I felt depressed, but I least I was thinking clearly ; I understood the roots of my feelings.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the polar opposite of my experience with antidepressants, although I do have to say that the brief period of time that they had me on Paxil (which is also prescribed for anxiety) is the closest I remember to feeling this way. So it may be a characteristic of that drug.

With Zoloft and later with Wellbutrin, I felt MORE like myself, not less. Depression is a curious thing. It seems so normal when you're in it, as if this is your world.

This was my daily thought process when I was depressed:

"You are lazy and unmotivated and doomed to be unsuccessful and everyone dislikes you and the people that like you wouldn't if they really knew you...so you better try as hard as you can to prevent anyone from getting too close. All you've done with your life is piss away all of your advantages and opportunities, even though you know that you're intelligent, all you have done is waste it. Now it's over, you're too far gone, you have no way out, and you just have to survive until you die, which hopefully will be soon. Maybe you'll be in a car accident. Of course, then they'll see your messy closet and find out what a loser you are."

Things like that literally ran through my head for most of my waking hours. And every night I'd tell myself, "tomorrow, you lazy idiot, you're going to get up and be productive and do all the stuff you have to do. It won't help, but you're going to do it."

During this time I was a college student, lived with roommates, had a regular boyfriend, held down jobs, all the while with this constant litany of self-hatred. I didn't do any of these things up to my expectation, though. I was never good enough to my boyfriend, I felt like a crappy roommate, I didn't go to enough classes, I was bad at my job. The fact that I got As and Bs, was an honors student, was always being promoted, and my roommates loved me (and are still my closest friends to this day), and my guy couldn't get enough of me never even pinged my radar as hints that I might be wrong about myself.

When I lived alone for the first time in my life was when I had a breakdown. For the first time I wasn't accountable to anyone else, and I had lost the ability to care about doing things for myself.

I won't go into details, but it essentially forced me to get help. My doctor put me on Zoloft. Taking the Zoloft was a revelation. I remembered what it was like to feel like myself. I discovered that I didn't have to take crap from people. I was able to reasonably assess my situation and apply my brain to making it better. I discovered goals and desires and wishes and motivation. I could think clearly.

After about a year, they took me off the Zoloft, which was a relief. Some of the side effects weren't great: stomach troubles, occasional flashes of rage. But I was more like myself than I had been in years. I finally felt like the person everyone around me saw, and the person that I dimly remembered being. Which was funny, because while I was depressed, I had no memory of that person at all.

Kind of stupid example: my whole life I have loved thunderstorms. I find them compelling and magical. I like to stand out in them, to watch them, to hear them. When I was depressed I didn't even notice storms, AND I didn't notice anything different. I just stopped doing something so completely simple that gave me so much pleasure. Same thing with hot baths. Reading. Wearing earrings and perfume. Anything that was just for me, I didn't do. And I didn't notice.