Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: Soft play at 1/2 NL?

You are a regular at 5/10 and 10/20 LHE? I play most games at Foxwoods at the level you do, and in my experience this is relatively uncommon at 1/2 NL compared to games involving older players. It's far, far more common at O8 and the lower limit stud games, where it is often done unspoken. Several O8 regulars will simply stop betting when 2 end up heads up in a pot without any agreement whatsoever. At a 5/10 stud table I was at the entire table seemed to be implicitly agreeing that once headsup (70%+ of the hands at this tight passive table) there would be no more betting, which meant literally no bets when in on 3/4 of the hands after about 4th street.

Makes for an interesting strategy adjustment-- how do you draw when you know you won't get paid off for getting there, but can chase all the way far more cheaply than normal? The adjustment I decided on was "find a new table."
Old 10-23-2007, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are a regular at 5/10 and 10/20 LHE? I play most games at Foxwoods at the level you do, and in my experience this is relatively uncommon at 1/2 NL compared to games involving older players. It's far, far more common at O8 and the lower limit stud games, where it is often done unspoken. Several O8 regulars will simply stop betting when 2 end up heads up in a pot without any agreement whatsoever. At a 5/10 stud table I was at the entire table seemed to be implicitly agreeing that once headsup (70%+ of the hands at this tight passive table) there would be no more betting, which meant literally no bets when in on 3/4 of the hands after about 4th street.

Makes for an interesting strategy adjustment-- how do you draw when you know you won't get paid off for getting there, but can chase all the way far more cheaply than normal? The adjustment I decided on was "find a new table."

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably the best adjustment. If they are checking it down for everyone then I play more drawing hands. Generally I noticed the fossils raise and reraise when I am in the hand and don't start checking until they are heads up with each other.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Probably the best adjustment. If they are checking it down for everyone then I play more drawing hands. Generally I noticed the fossils raise and reraise when I am in the hand and don't start checking until they are heads up with each other.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean that it's never a 3-way check down, I agree. The check-it-down guys seem to think that they're making 2-1 when it's three way, but headsup it's 50/50 so why bother? This is just one of the many ways that they make sure that they only lose their money slowly.

If you mean that they play straight until you're out, you're probably still right. The check-it-down guys never ask me if I want to check it down, they just know that I won't.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:01 AM

I've done this with someone I have been joking around with at the table if its a small pot and heads up (but only when I have been the pf raiser)

If he says no, I don't take it personally though...