Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 04:20 PM

Default Re: What goes around...

[ QUOTE ]
Are you talking about the guy who appears to have suffered a bad burn on his face and neck and had some kind of reconstructive surgury?

[/ QUOTE ]
Nope. No way to tell this guy had a disability.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another important thing to note is that some players might find the offer to return funds condescending or that you are pitying the disability.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I wouldn't want to embarass him on top of the original embarassment. And the thought about the disability rings true as well. His attitude about his vision liability seemed to be that he took it in stride.

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, returning the loot might obscure your intimidating shark-like image of a 10/20 predator.

[/ QUOTE ]
This just makes me laugh every time I read it. The fact that I asked an incredibly intimidating pro might have served me well because now he will look at me as a light touch. And in fact he offered some helpful advice to me at various points in the game.

Of course once he reads this his attitude about me might change...
Old 10-08-2007, 10:07 PM

Mr. Rick you are a good egg, a real class act. Guys like you are the reason I actually enjoy playing live poker there aren't too many like you around. I think you handled the situation in the best way possible.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:10 PM

Hey Mr Rick --

Long time no see. I've been really busy of late, and haven't played at FW in like 4-5 weeks. I hope to be down this Saturday however for some 10-20.

I had a similar situation at Fox 10-20 a few months back. I was in a hand with Stan (older gentlemen who plays like every weekend; genuinely nice guy).

I was lagging it up as usual and raised QJo in the CO to open. Stan called as did BB I think.

Flop like T9x

I bet, Stan called.

Turn brick

I bet, Stan called.

River brick

I pick up 4 redbirds from my stack and begin to give a slight forward wrist motion. The chips neither leave my hand nor do they cross the line while in my hand. Stan, as soon as he sees my slight motion, announces "I call" and fires 4 birds into the pot.

At this point, I look at the dealer. He has not announced my bet, and I say "check." The dealer views this as legal and Stan gets shipped the pot minus the 20 bucks. Another player asks Stan if he would like to call the floor, and he says no.

Now, I must honestly say, I did intend to bet; the only thing that stopped me was his instacall (I had Q hi, after all). Because of this, I tossed Stan the 4 reds after the next hand -- perhaps unnecessary, I don't know.

Should I have been committed to pay Stan the $20?

magic
Old 10-09-2007, 01:31 PM

You're right. If you were nicer your Q9 would have won the 2nd to last hand.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:11 PM

I did the same thing. Against a different regular I started to bet and when I saw the call coming I stopped (well short of my cards). But instead of saying check, I just put the chips in. If I was the Floor I would have ruled it a bet (my motion like yours was very clearly an intended bet).

Next time against the same player though I will check his hands while I am picking up my chips. If I see any chips I will back off (unless I actually have a hand). He always will call there, but he doesn't want me to bet.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:57 PM

As previously stated, I know that I personally would find it condescending if someone offered me some of my bets back.

The farthest my conscience has ever driven me in a situation like that is I might check the nuts on the river with him on a future hand when I know he's likely to go for another 1-2 bets. Although I would tell him thats what I'm doing. There is no point checking the nuts as a favor if the guy doesn't realize you did it.

I think the only other change I've ever made in my play for the sake of the game (as opposed to my stack) is if I happen to suck out and I know it, I might make a stupidly big bet as a warning. I have even on occasion said aloud "I sucked out on you" before he/she calls. But the only time I've ever done this is in a situation where I was attempting to preserve happiness at the table or keep a calling station in the game to suck money out of the nits.

Now that I think about it, I'm doing that for my own benefit too, so I guess it probably doesn't count on my good karma rating.

Oh well, I guess I can't escape my own cold, calculating nature.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:14 PM

Negative. And I'm a pretty nice guy. For example, if I got in a pot with him later and we got it up to about 4 bets on the river, I might ask him if he wants to double check his cards. Then again, I might not. He knows what he's doing, or what he should be responsible for doing. Anything else on your part could be condescending or patronizing.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:32 PM

I've played with him too. Agreed.