Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Join me in my drug-inspired, inordinately belated poker epiphanies

But how much math knowledge is required to make some of these top class decisions at the huge stakes, and how can some people do it with their more limited brain power?

For example, you decide you are ahead of someones range. But how do you know how far ahead you have to be to reraise/do whatever, because 50.1% is not enough, based on money already being in the pot (pushing the required % down), and the fact that they will discard a lot of hands that lose to you and only committ the same higher amount of money with better cards (raising the required %).

ie. Villain bets 18, you think about RRto 64. What % do you have to be ahead? Because you are going to win 18 of his money when you are ahead and he folds, but when he decides he can compete only then will he committ more.

I am stoned as well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
somebody who plays the same stakes for a long time will simply be wasting his mental energy if he tries to think out every single routine spot

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I don't normally read MSNL since I'm a play micro and small stakes games. I wandered in here randomly this morning and read this post.

I feel like I just hit a 1 outer.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so me. Def have to change this. Nice post thanks.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
great post OP, and great thread overall

thank you

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-07-2007, 01:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But how much math knowledge is required to make some of these top class decisions at the huge stakes, and how can some people do it with their more limited brain power?

For example, you decide you are ahead of someones range. But how do you know how far ahead you have to be to reraise/do whatever, because 50.1% is not enough, based on money already being in the pot (pushing the required % down), and the fact that they will discard a lot of hands that lose to you and only committ the same higher amount of money with better cards (raising the required %).

ie. Villain bets 18, you think about RRto 64. What % do you have to be ahead? Because you are going to win 18 of his money when you are ahead and he folds, but when he decides he can compete only then will he committ more.

I am stoned as well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Re-read the OP IMO you totally misunderstood it.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:29 PM

Great thread. I can identify with a lot of posts.

[ QUOTE ]
Great post OP.

On a somewhat related topic, one of the most insightful things that I have ever read about poker was the following:

[ QUOTE ]

Poker is about adapting to your opponents deflection from non-exploitable play and attack the theoretical weakness he has created. Obviously by doing this, you open up some weaknesses on your side and you have to evaluate when your opponent has taken note of them and re-adjust accordingly. Poker is about being aware of those dynamics...

[/ QUOTE ]

While this post was made in response to a question of "tricky" or "fancy" play it actually worked to drive home the point to me that there is no one "approach" or one "line" that works best at all times against all opponents, most opponents, or even one opponent.

This single statement caused me to re-evaluate my approach to the game and since doing so I have made more progress in the past two months than I had in the past two years.

[/ QUOTE ]
Same for me. In the last few weeks I've completely changed my approach to the game. (It only took a downswing of FGators proportions to get to this point...) One thing that really hit me was when I watched the cts vid on cardrunners. He is always aware of the dynamics at the table, and he actually thinks things like 'well, now I did this and this,and that will affect this player's ranges like that, so I will now have to start doing more of this.' Even though this is extremely obvious and one of the first things you learn ('it always depends'), I've always played a set range of hands in each position preflop, and played the same type of hands the same postflop. Now I see that what can be the best play now, can be the worst play in ten minutes, because the dynamics have completely changed.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:49 PM

Granddaddy Purp? Sour Deez? WHHAT ARE YOU ON, DRUGS??????
Old 10-07-2007, 06:45 PM

Great post. Somewhat long but def worth reading. It's useful long term if you are able to change your analysis/improvement process of your game. And I think most of us should evaluate "our thoughts on poker".