Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker

Old 08-10-2007, 12:50 PM

Default NLTRN, 1xNutflush flopped, 1xflopped set with very ugly river

Both hands are from a 20+2 HU tournament on stars. In both the pot became large and I think, I've choosen a bad line, so I hope to get some hints here.

1) Villain is marginal looser following Sharkscope. We both have raised a lot of hands pf on the button and defended the BB very tight. Also, not a lot of hands went to Showdown so far, most likely the 1st or 2nd bullet won the pot.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (2 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero (t1480)
BB (t1520)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t50</font>, BB calls t30.

Flop: (t100) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t60</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t140</font>, Hero calls t80.

Turn: (t380) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t260</font>, Hero calls t260.

River: (t900) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1030 (All-In)</font>, BB folds.

Final Pot: t-130

2) Villain is a fish following sharkscope. He played so far passiv and seemed to have the attidude to call down most 1pairs (independent from Bottom to Top and most also the kicker) and to play strong hands and perhaps draws also aggressive.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (2 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero (t1900)
Button (t1100)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Button calls t25, Hero checks.

Flop: (t100) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t70</font>, Button calls t70.

Turn: (t240) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t180</font>, Button calls t180.

River: (t600) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t500</font>, Hero calls t350.

Final Pot: t1600

I didn't raised pf because I had raised last 3 hands pf and didn't want to provocate something like a coinflip situation as I thought I'm the better player.

In 1) I guess, I should have reraised the flop hoping he has something like a pair+FD that he will not fold,
In 2) I guess, flop+turn are fine so far, however, the river is hard as all draws have arrived, so perhaps check and see what he bets. In this hand I tried to block.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Re: NLTRN, 1xNutflush flopped, 1xflopped set with very ugly river

I'd probably raise the turn in hand 1, looks like he was bluffing though and you wouldn't have gotten more value out of him anyways.

Hand 2 is a check/call or check/fold depending on his bet sizing. Could argue for check/fold so you'd keep the chip advantage in the match.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:35 PM

I'd argue for a check fold because every conceivable draw got there. He could be calling with so many 1 pair hands that turned into straights here, it's just not good. Not to mention calling down with any pure drawing hands.

I understand what you're trying to do with the 150 bet, thinking he only raises the flush and might fire out with the straight as well as bluffs if you check. If the pot were smaller and/or the board a little more favorable you could block the river here, but not with a 1/4 pot bet. That's just too weak and asks villains to raise it once in awhile with air (which is making them play more correctly).
Old 08-10-2007, 07:01 PM

Hand 1 please dont shove this river. His line does def. not look like a made flush and hes not gonna call a shove with much less. Go for the lurking bet and be surprised how often it works.

Hand 2, c/f for all the reasons mentioned above. AS PLAYED for Bobbys sake dont call that raise. That is super super bad and not even pot odds help you out of this.

Think of your hand in terms of relative strenght. You wouldnt dream of calling this with J5o, so why call it with 44?