Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 04-25-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Mardi Gras vs. Fantasy Fest

Ok, So I have been to Mardi Gras, and it was pretty much the best time I have ever had. My friends and I have always wondered why there wasn't another Mardi Gras since 1 year is such a long time to wait. Then the other day I found out about Fantasy Fest which is supposed to be pretty similar to Mardi Gras, except in Key West during Halloween.
I am interested in hearing from anyone who has done both. How do the two compare? I am pretty much planning to go to Fantasy Fest this I raise my expectations too high.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:44 PM

Default Re: Mardi Gras vs. Fantasy Fest

So, I'll break the rules. I've never been to Mardi Gras, but ...

I lived in Key West for a little more than a year. I can say, without question, that Fantasy Fest is the craziest experience I've ever had.

You just need to not be bothered by 50 percent of the people walking naked (body painted) on Duval Street that weekend. This includes 60-year-old fat men and 70-year-old weathered women.

It was a blast, though, that's for sure. Make your hotel reservations now, btw.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:46 PM

OK, Mardi Gras is pretty much the same way with most of the naked people being unattractive.

How expensive is it to go to KW?
Old 04-25-2007, 09:52 PM

It's pretty expensive, but compared to what I don't know.

If you want to stay near Duval Street - and you do - it will cost you a minimum of $200-$300 a night.

If you chose to watch the parade Saturday night from a Duval Street restaurant - so you can have a table, food and drinks during the event - you'll pay a $50 chair fee on top of what you spend at the establishment.

The good news: Lots of cheap beer bars on and around Duval before and after. Beer is cheap at Irish Kevin's, for instance, and there are two or three 'off Duval' bars that are a total party and sell beer cheap (2 or 3 bucks per).

There also are Subways, McDonalds, Dennys, Taco Bells, etc. to eat at, and a decent Publix grocery store to buy groceries at ... you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to stay nurished.

That said, a night at the A&B Lobster House is a must [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-25-2007, 09:54 PM

Also, don't let anyone sell you on flying to Miami, renting a car and driving to Key West. The drive is beautiful, don't get me wrong. But parking in Key West is a disaster, and it's really only the last 45 minutes of the drive (Marathon to Key West) that's worth seeing from a car. Fly DIRECTLY INTO KEY WEST.

You'll thank me later ... especially when it comes time to fly home.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:01 PM

Is it possible to buy a 12 pack/5th vodka and carry it around with me while I walk around town? This is allowed at MG.

Please let me know what other restaurants I need to eat at. Money is no object when it comes to good food.

I guess the event is 10 days or so. If you only have 5 days of vacation time, which 5 days would you go? The last?
Old 04-25-2007, 11:29 PM

You can def. carry around open containers on Duval Street. In fact, it's pretty much encouraged.

Other restaurants that are very solid:

- Turtle Kraals (lunch)
- Blue Heaven (breakfast with the chickens, can't go wrong there)
- Caroline's (on Duval, outside seating obv., well-priced and good eats)
- The restaurant downstairs from A&B Lobster House - Alonzo's Oyster House - is a GREAT place before actually going to the A&B. Start there for drinks and some Buffalo Shrimp as an appetizer, and work your way upstairs for the main course
- Louie's Backyard (dinner) - Amazing scenery view of the Atlantic
- Half Shell Raw Bar (lunch or dinner) - Very close in locale to Turtle Kraal's ... excellent

And if you're into coffee, make sure you stop at Seven Days' Deli - which, oddly enough, is closed on Sundays - for a Cafe Con Leche with two sugars. Liquid crack, my man.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:30 PM

It's close as far as when to go, because they really kick it off that first weekend with a bash. But if it were up to me, I'd be there for the end - that last Saturday is what makes the event famous.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:46 AM

Any ideas on where to get more details on accom. etc...6-8 of us are planning to go to this for a stag do for 4 days...

But not sure of any decent rental sites...?

TIA Vava
Old 05-03-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, don't let anyone sell you on flying to Miami, renting a car and driving to Key West. The drive is beautiful, don't get me wrong. But parking in Key West is a disaster, and it's really only the last 45 minutes of the drive (Marathon to Key West) that's worth seeing from a car. Fly DIRECTLY INTO KEY WEST.

You'll thank me later ... especially when it comes time to fly home.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO this really depends on how many people are going. It will be cheaper to rent a car if say 4 people are splitting it as opposed to getting $100 tickets a piece from Miami to KW. If you're going by yourself it makes much more sense to just fly in though.

Parking is bad, but I just did 24 hr car rentals to KW, dropped it off at the airport and took a $15 cab ride to my hotel. Like I said before, it was way cheaper to do this between 4 people than each of us flying directly down there.