Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF

Old 03-29-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Ask Golden_Rhino about going back to school as a 32 year old.

I'd be tempted to blow the $$$ on grad school just to be able to sleep with all the naive freshmen girls.
Old 03-30-2007, 01:50 AM

I'm super tired and heading to bed, but I wanted to grunch a question for you...so if it is answered I will get to it tomorrow morning when I can actually read my laptop screen....

Rhino,

In what ways (if any?) have you found that the extra 10 years of life experience has changed your outlook of the actual material. Do you learn certain things and relate it back to your life in the last 10 years outside of school? I find that as a 21 year old I rarely am able to connect things we learn to real-world applications without our teacher giving us an example in their life....

((I'm talking more philosophical and moral things, not something liek math problems.))

Thanks,
-Solo
Old 03-30-2007, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be tempted to blow the $$$ on grad school just to be able to sleep with all the naive freshmen girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, just pretend to go there...
Old 03-30-2007, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm super tired and heading to bed, but I wanted to grunch a question for you...so if it is answered I will get to it tomorrow morning when I can actually read my laptop screen....

Rhino,

In what ways (if any?) have you found that the extra 10 years of life experience has changed your outlook of the actual material. Do you learn certain things and relate it back to your life in the last 10 years outside of school? I find that as a 21 year old I rarely am able to connect things we learn to real-world applications without our teacher giving us an example in their life....

((I'm talking more philosophical and moral things, not something liek math problems.))

Thanks,
-Solo

[/ QUOTE ]

I am going for a major in history and an minor in English. My life experience gives me no advantage in English, and the fact that I have been out of high school for so long hurts me in regards to the 'lingo' used everyday in English classes.

In terms of history I think my extra experience gives me a bit of an advantage. Even something as trivial as having watched more war movies, history channel, and conversations with people has given me a pretty solid understanding of history. (I can't remember the guys name, but there's a dude on here who is a history channel junkie and knows a lot).

Also the fact that I have lived through major historical events (fall of the Berlin wall, the fall of communism, the Meech Lake accord etc..) gives me a first hand view on these events. Instead of just knowing dates and names, I can write about how people reacted, my own personal feelings at the time etc...

I find that many of my classmates have a difficult time with making connections (as you described). The good news is that it gets easier with time.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys,
I know that this forum is full of students, but most of them are in their early twenties. I went back to school as a 32 (now 33) year old. If any older posters have any questions about going back, or if anyone has any questions about what it's like to be the "old guy at the club", then ask away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just started back to College as well. I turn 34 in July. College chics are hot, but I'm not really in any shape to pull any. After a nasty divorce, and dating another psycho recently, I am taking a break from that kind of social interaction.

One thing that has really stuck out for me since I returned is how socio-politically biased the professors, course material, and even the text books are. It isn't just an annoying difference of opinion type bias, it is a blatant brainwash these 19yr old kids into our cult, kind of bias.

Two quarters ago I wrote a 3 page letter to the Dean of the English department explaining how offensive some of the material was. I got no response. This quarter I am in a public speaking class, which so far (1 class) has included a survey asking about my sexual preference, a discussion on the values of radical Islam, a lecture on tolerance, and an explanation that some topics are so complicated no one should speak on them!?!? WTF? Not sure how much of this I'll be able to swallow.