Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2007, 03:08 PM

Default Final table frustrations. Playing small stacks and stealing...

I am posting this because I want to hear other players opinions on this. This is not results oriented at all. In the past week I have made 4 final tables. Each time I have busted between 6-9. I feel im having blow ups. Or are these good spots? Also, I do realize the importance of having a big stack, but sometimes you just don't have that luxory. Just a few nights ago I watched PearlJammed play his short stack perfectly for so long and then finally getting lucky a few times and winning the $33rebuy. So, this is something that I need to work on.

Im sorry I don't have HH's available since im at work.

Last night, UB $33 rebuy. 7 players left. I have 68K. Blinds are 4k/8k a-600. me and 3 other stacks are about equal and the rest are much bigger. I get A2s UTG+2 and open push. Is this a standard push? Am I too early to push such a weak A? Sure my M is getting low, but I still want to be in position to give myself a chance to win yet don't want to do something stupid either.

I can't remember the other hands. But this is the nature of it. I feel myself pushing hands that are very mediocre just because I get a chance to open. I would appreciate any input, advice or tips that people can share with this.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:18 PM

Default Re: Final table frustrations. Playing small stacks and stealing...

What did UTG, UTG+1 do? Fold? Where are the short stacks? How long since you played a hand? How long until the blinds go up?

If you have 3 short stacks and one big stack behind you, I like it better than if you have the 3 bigger stacks on one shortie left to act.

If you have been nursing your stack, I like it better than if you've been involved in many hands. I hate pushing from this spot with an ace, even though your sooted... let's face it, you don't want to be called. So really, I don't think your cards matter as much as the situation.

Long answer for, I probably fold even with you M=~4 and wait for PP or positional shove with a good situation (ie; folded to you in CO or big stack folds).
Old 03-27-2007, 03:33 PM

it was folded to me in UTG+2. there was 1 equal stack behind and the rest big stacks.

it seems im often in this spot of open pushing from ep with a short-tish stack. its good to be aggressive but at the same time i hate pushing a hand like J10 and being called by Q10. i know im mainly frustrated but positional pushing seems like the better option here.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:47 PM

A2 is no good to push, sooted or not. Wait for middlish cards at least, pref position, or middlish stack in BB
Old 03-27-2007, 05:46 PM

I think that your main problem is how often you get to the final table short.

With 2 and 3 tables to go you should be taking chances to build a stack, which you can use to steal a lot of pots and accumulate chips before the FT starts. The pay difference between 20th and 8th is pretty nominal, but 8th and 1st is astounding. If you can come into the FT with a decent chunk of chips, you'll be amazed how willingly people get out of your way when every raise is a threat to their tournament life, at a time when every place means so much. When you come in short, nobody is afraid of you and you'll be at the mercy of the cards, no matter how well you play. Getting exactly first place is so insanely valuable in an MTT that you need to have your eyes locked in on the 1-spot long before the final 9 are set.

That said, when you do find yourself short, all of your push hands like A2s, JTo, K9o have about the same equity when called. The best thing that you can do is maximize your chance of not getting called: i.e. raise in position. I'm infinitely happier pushing J7o from the CO than A2s from UTG. Unless you pick up a legitimately good hand, stick to stealing with mediumish stuff when in position until you catch a break and have some chips to play with. And if the big stacks are opening too many pots, don't be afraid to get in there with some marginal hands for a chance to double up so you have enough ammo to play back at them.

Everett
Old 03-27-2007, 06:34 PM

i agree big time about the problem is coming to these tables so short. this is been a bad trend lately. i don't think im playing the bubble well either. those UB33 rebuys are starting to play so tough that bubble stealing is very hard. i need to work on a few things. i am not happy with my game right now. thanks tho, good advice.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:59 PM

Considering the size of the ante and you are pushing into 4 players for 8xBB, I think this is a fine push.

A2s is a good hand to do this with. It is probably as good as 22, KJo, or QJs. You are often called by Kx or something. You have flush and straight possibilities, and the deuce is almost always live.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:01 PM

Your M is 4 and there are only 4 hands behind you so this is a pretty clear push.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:57 PM

I think QJs has slightly higher equity agqainst range, but i don't know what range of calls is at these things. Push is fine
Old 03-28-2007, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that your main problem is how often you get to the final table short.

With 2 and 3 tables to go you should be taking chances to build a stack, which you can use to steal a lot of pots and accumulate chips before the FT starts. The pay difference between 20th and 8th is pretty nominal, but 8th and 1st is astounding. If you can come into the FT with a decent chunk of chips, you'll be amazed how willingly people get out of your way when every raise is a threat to their tournament life, at a time when every place means so much. When you come in short, nobody is afraid of you and you'll be at the mercy of the cards, no matter how well you play. Getting exactly first place is so insanely valuable in an MTT that you need to have your eyes locked in on the 1-spot long before the final 9 are set.

That said, when you do find yourself short, all of your push hands like A2s, JTo, K9o have about the same equity when called. The best thing that you can do is maximize your chance of not getting called: i.e. raise in position. I'm infinitely happier pushing J7o from the CO than A2s from UTG. Unless you pick up a legitimately good hand, stick to stealing with mediumish stuff when in position until you catch a break and have some chips to play with. And if the big stacks are opening too many pots, don't be afraid to get in there with some marginal hands for a chance to double up so you have enough ammo to play back at them.

Everett

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly the best post i have read in a fortnight.

fwiw, i push here

Also, in almost all of the hands that i push, i will (when called) be either a small dog or a very big dog. Its the nature of the beast. What you are really after is to steal the blinds without a fight, or get lucky and double up.

Repeat a few times, with lady luck on your side, and you will nail that top spot or two.

OP, it sounds like your mindset is in the right place, and you just need that bit more time on the table!