Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 02-16-2007, 03:49 AM

Default Is this story about Sam Farha true?

I apologize if this is common knowledge or has been discussed before, but this is the first I had heard about it.

I was just reading through Barry Greenstein's ranking of famous pros on his website and came across this:

[ QUOTE ]
Eight hands before the end of Day 2 in 2003, I drew out on Sammy and he got up from the table. He thought he was busted, but he had 5,000 more than I had. (80,000 was average at that point.) He said, “I’m leaving. I can’t do anything with 5,000.” I said, “Sammy, sit down and take a shot.” Sammy went all-in in the dark on the next two hands and doubled up each time. Of the last eight hands played at our table that night, Sammy was all-in before the flop on seven of them. He ended the second day with 58,000. Of course, Sammy went on to become famous as he cashed out $1.3 million for his second place finish in the event.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true, why didn't ESPN mentioned this more often and showcase it? I understand that they may not have had the footage of the 7/8 wins to get him back into contention, but telling the story still would've made for great TV imo.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Is this story about Sam Farha true?

AF,
True story, ESPN covered it briefly.
Old 02-16-2007, 04:09 AM

hmm I never heard about this but that is pretty dam cool
Old 02-16-2007, 05:27 AM

lol, no Barry is lying.
Old 02-16-2007, 05:55 AM

Not an argument that we in the poker community want highlighted in our quest for skill recognition. Going in dark and doubling up a number of times to eventually come in 2nd. We understand its a donkament. To the general public Chris Moneymaker is a poker great. Bury that story.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:44 AM

This is true. I've heard it a number of times.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:50 AM

news to me...pretty impressive/remarkable story and surprised i didn't hear it earlier
Old 02-16-2007, 08:58 AM

I don't know if it is true or not but here is something I know to be true since I witnessed it with my own eyes.

In the High Stakes Poker episode that Aba was on Farha pulled a blatant angle shoot that was utterly ridiculous. He made a complete fool of himself and a mockery of the game. For those who didn't see it, it is hard to desribe but he basically pretended to call an AI bet in the dark on the flop and then Grimstarred. He then miraculously convinces his opponent to chop the pot with no flop whe it was very clear that Farha's hand had way the worst of it. Made me want to puke.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not an argument that we in the poker community want highlighted in our quest for skill recognition. Going in dark and doubling up a number of times to eventually come in 2nd. We understand its a donkament. To the general public Chris Moneymaker is a poker great. Bury that story.

[/ QUOTE ]
?

This is exactly the kind of story that gets more rubes to play poker.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if it is true or not but here is something I know to be true since I witnessed it with my own eyes.

In the High Stakes Poker episode that Aba was on Farha pulled a blatant angle shoot that was utterly ridiculous. He made a complete fool of himself and a mockery of the game. For those who didn't see it, it is hard to desribe but he basically pretended to call an AI bet in the dark on the flop and then Grimstarred. He then miraculously convinces his opponent to chop the pot with no flop whe it was very clear that Farha's hand had way the worst of it. Made me want to puke.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think most people were shocked about that one, but then someone posted the whole story and it makes a lot more sense, even though it is still slightly bizarre- (can't find the thread though).