Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-12-2007, 02:44 AM

Default is my computer security at risk?

To make a long story short, sbrugby's AIM got hacked and he had access to some AIM logs leading me to believe it was definitely him. He wanted me to look over some hands and sent them via a .mnr.txt file to my gmail account.

I'm not that naive though and instead of DLing the file I tried to view it as html in the email, and it looked all weird. Before I figured out it 100% wasn't him, I opened it again but this time using the google document application, so it opened it in google docs in gmail. Again, it looked weird. Then he tried to send me a .exe file over AIM and I knew it wasn't him. I never actually downloaded anything, though - just viewed once as HTML and then opened as a google document.

I'm using a Macbook Pro. I'm not too savvy in this area and it would really put my mind at ease if I knew my email/computer security was safe (or give me cause for springing into action if it's unsafe).

Help!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:51 AM

Default Re: is my computer security at risk?

not sure of macs but i would do a system restore anyway, run all the softwares etc just in case, if its a newer computer without a lot of stuff on it, reformat maybe

but its a mac so i dont rly know specifically
Old 11-12-2007, 02:55 AM

Given that you didn't download, execute, or install anything; you're almost guaranteed to be safe.

Reformatting is extreme in this case. If you didn't enter your admin password to install anything, I wouldn't worry about it. You can change all of your email passwords if you're really worried.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:57 AM

In order for it to affect you you'd have to run the program he was trying to send you. Unless there's a buffer overflow in the browser that isn't going to happen (to be fair browsers are notorious for this, but its unlikely) and besides whatever junk he was trying to get you to run probably was windows specific anyway.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:36 AM

As stated if you didn't download/run anything you should be fine assuming everything on your computer is up to date.

On the other hand, people usually swear up and down that they didn't download anything and there's no way in hell they clicked install even though I know they did. Only you can really judge that one.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As stated if you didn't download/run anything you should be fine

[/ QUOTE ]This.

[ QUOTE ]
On the other hand, people usually swear up and down that they didn't download anything and there's no way in hell they clicked install even though I know they did. Only you can really judge that one.

[/ QUOTE ]Did you accidentally load windows on your macbook and THEN run the app? Because if you didn't, you're fine.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did you accidentally load windows on your macbook and THEN run the app? Because if you didn't, you're fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to remember Townsend saying something about buying a mac.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did you accidentally load windows on your macbook and THEN run the app? Because if you didn't, you're fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seem to remember Townsend saying something about buying a mac.

[/ QUOTE ]

Townsend has a mac from what I can tell, but I am sure he also runs windows for poker applications.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As stated if you didn't download/run anything you should be fine

[/ QUOTE ]This.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Did you accidentally load windows on your macbook and THEN run the app? Because if you didn't, you're fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, i'm running OSX and definitely didn't DL anything... just viewed as html and opened as a google doc in gmail.

thanks guys!