Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums

View Poll Results: What would other golfers think?
That guy's lame 17 41.46%
That guy's baller! 24 58.54%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Why I would like to get rid of the LoL forum

link

In this thread NT! gives the OP a * for posting a LoL thread in OOT. Given the current setup he is absolutely correct to do that imo, so please don't turn this into a thread about NT!

However, I think posts like that are a part of what makes OOT great and should be brought back into the OOT forum.

Now for fun a poll
Old 07-19-2007, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Why I would like to get rid of the LoL forum

I'd rather miss one or two link threads that turn into good discussions than see 100 crappy links that don't.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:54 PM

I DEFINITELY agree, Matt. The whole spin-off was weird anyway and IIRC happened when The Lounge was created. I don't even remember there being a clamoring for a link forum anyway, maybe that discussion only existed in the mod forum?

What's funny about LOL (no pun intended) is that for the longest time it was referred to as "the trash dump" etc., so I never went there, then some discussion about replacing it with BBV4L was brought up and all of a sudden guys like [censored] came out of the woodwork to say how much they enjoy that forum.

Get rid of the forum, allow links in OOT, and things will sort themselves out as they always do. Besides, I thought I saw that OOT's numbers are maybe 60-70% of what they were a year ago, so folding those threads back into OOT isn't going to make the forum unmanageably busy.

Most importantly, there are probably many threads in LOL that would get a lot more play and discussion in OOT but they never get read.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd rather miss one or two link threads that turn into good discussions than see 100 crappy links that don't.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely agree. So now that this is settled, let's make this a thread about NT!. Those are fun.

Edit: Oh, and tuc is teh ghey. Don't listen to him.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:00 PM

all,

i hesitated before giving OP this * because it turned into a semi-ok thread. but i did because he cut and pasted an entire article, which is not cool, and because i am a mean bastard.

i don't have a problem with people posting links for discussion, the problem is when you post JUST THE LINK and like 1 sentence or a poll or something. it involves no effort and it clutters the forum.

i don't care what they do with LOL, i never go there
Old 07-19-2007, 03:15 PM

I refuse to post in the LOL forum as it was I who coined the term "trash dump".

Every so often I do venture in there to look for some random flash game to pass my time however.

If I find a video, or link that I like I will just post it in OOT and add some of my own comments so I am not just link 'tarding.

I agree LOL is a waste of space, but I don't think Mat really likes to contract the board so I highly doubt he will do it this time. (Although I think it would probably be good for OOT overall).
Old 07-19-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree LOL is a waste of space, but I don't think Mat really likes to contract the board so I highly doubt he will do it this time. (Although I think it would probably be good for OOT overall).

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope he isn't completely averse to contraction:

- having now looked at Sniper's numbers, OOT posts are down nearly 50% from a year ago at this time.

- LOL averages a tepid 50 or so posts/day. Two per HOUR.

So to those worried about LOL posts clogging OOT, that just doesn't seem feasible. Even with the huge rollback in OOT posts lately, the forum still posts at a rate nearly 18X that of LOL. Folding LOL back into OOT will just better foster discussion, rather than banishing it to some seldom-visited wasteland.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:20 PM

I just want to say that I have definitely seen some posts in OOT that are just links that would make good discussion but are locked because they're JUST links.

One of the big things we talked about with the problems was that it's tough to come up with good OPs. Links/other sites/etc are great fodder for good OPs. I honestly don't see any problem with linktarding but maybe we could at least switch the policy to *ing linktarded OPs but not locking the thread?
Old 07-19-2007, 04:24 PM

kipin BBV4L is the dump lets not make that mistake again

I actually like LOL I go there everyday , its nice to be able to just throw trashy junk games and stuff . I think it would be counter active to merge them back.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:25 PM

LOL was gotten-rid-of, when bbv4l was created. But people bitched about having to sift thru jokes to get to links of flash games and funny articles. Wont the same be true if you put it back in OOT? Wont happen imo.

gl with this tho'
--GA