Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 06:24 PM

Default should I take the AP calc test?

I think I want to be premed in college next year so my thinking is that if I take Calc again next year it will be an easy A and boost my GPA. Then again, if I place out with the AP test, then I don't have to take the course. But, I would have to take a harder course.

Thoughts?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:42 PM

Default Re: should I take the AP calc test?

Yes. AP Calc tests (both AB and BC) were the best 8 hours of standardized testing of my life.

Edit: you'll probably want to kill yourself not long into retaking calc if you actually understand it. It'd be so dull. Advanced math is much more enjoyable (for me anyhow. I'm a math major)
Old 05-08-2007, 06:44 PM

agreed are you the one who goes to nu?
Old 05-08-2007, 06:47 PM

I would say it depends on what you are planning to do. I took it and passed, but in reality we did not cover the second half of the material very well. So I took Cal I in college and it was absolute cake. Cal II was somewhat challenging, because that material was not covered well in high school.

I could have skipped Cal I, but it really turned out to not be a big deal. Starting off with an easy course was kind of a good thing when I look back on it.

Regardless, you should take the AP exam to keep your options open. Some Universities will try to stick you in pre-cal coming out of high school, and that IS a waste of time. When they see you passed the AP, there is a better chance they'll let you do what you want to do.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:53 PM

What do you plan on majoring in? If you go the Chemistry route you will need at least two semesters of calc and one semester of Diff EQ so I would take the AP test and just get it out of the way. That way you can take Calc II 1st semester and Diff EQ 2nd semester and be done with math after your freshman year. Biology doesn't require as much math, Calc I is all that is required at my school so either way it doesn't make a big difference.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:53 PM

why would u have to take a harder course, atleast at my school if you opt out of a class due to an A.P class you can take an elective of your choice in it's place
Old 05-09-2007, 12:05 AM

NOOOPE.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:14 AM

If the teacher is good AP calc is a really good class. Also not taking AP now so you can get an A in college is the tooliest thing anyone has ever said in the history if gigantic douchebag tools ever.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the teacher is good AP calc is a really good class. Also not taking AP now so you can get an A in college is the tooliest thing anyone has ever said in the history if gigantic douchebag tools ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's toolish, but it is a really dumb thing to do. A lot of schools give credit towards graduation for high AP scores, which means that instead of having to take a harder course, you get to graduate early and take no class at all.
Old 05-09-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OP is playing D1 soccer next year, so I don't think a piece-of-cake class during freshman year is the worst thing in the world..