Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2006, 11:05 AM

Default Question re: Tournament Poker for Advanced Players

Would appreciate it if someone can help me with this.. I know this quesion may have been covered a couple of months ago but I can't find it in the search.

A while ago, I purchased TPFAP (3rd Printing, Jan. 2004 edition). I never got the chance to read it b/c I was backlogged with several other poker books. Recently, I was thinking of starting it but am wondering if it is worthwhile now since I have recently purchased and read Kill Phil.

Would there be any benefit of reading TPFAP now? Are there any specific sections of TPFAP that may be good supplementary reading to KP?

I also read somewhere that TPFAP was updated to reflect some system - does anyone know which edition reflects that update? How is the Sklansky's system different than KP?

thanks guys,
Old 04-09-2006, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Question re: Tournament Poker for Advanced Players

I haven't read Kill Phil, but i thoroughly doubt it would hurt your game if you read TPFAP. It contains a lot of useful information and concepts. A lot of the information covers limit tournaments rather than nl though, so be careful to adapt the information to whatever game you play.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:24 AM

kill phil is based on the "system" in TPFAP. but this is a very small chapter in the book. you could even leave this chapter out. TPFAP is a light read relative to other 2+2 books. if you play tornaments i recommend reading it. if not then it really won't help you at all.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:32 PM

If you're read HOH 1 & 2 do you really need TPFAP?
Old 04-09-2006, 09:17 PM

Kill phil is not optimal play. if you plan to play this way exclusively then this is the only book you'll ever need. TPFAP assummes that you are already a good player (using conventional methods[not the system]) and is a real help for those good players who have limited tornament experience. since you have already got the book you simply must read it.