Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 02:34 PM

Default If You\'re a Christian who Believes in Evolution..

Science tells us that our species has been around for at least 200,000 years. Presumably we were sinning and had many of the same bad habits as we did when Christ was born.

Question: Why did God wait some 198,000 years before sending Jesus down to save humanity?

You might think this is a silly question, but man was just as sinful before Jesus as he is now. How do you explain why the first 198,000 years of sinning was overlooked by God?

You can't say He just got fed up one day and decided to do something about it, because we're still sinning today. If Jesus ended sin, I might buy that argument. But since there is still sin, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to wait 198,000 years, does it?
Old 10-20-2007, 02:49 PM

Default Re: If You\'re a Christian who Believes in Evolution..

[ QUOTE ]
it doesn't make a whole lot of sense

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-20-2007, 02:52 PM

Maybe he sent down someone before but we don't know who they were since we didn't have writing. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2007, 03:07 PM

god works in mysterious ways.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:12 PM

We need to talk about it on their terms.

"Why did God wait 4000 years to send the savior?"
Old 10-20-2007, 04:19 PM

i am an adament atheist, but if you read the religious text god did do a lot about sinners, he kept killing them. flood, sodom and gamora (sp?), im sure some others i don't know about, but god kept cleaning the slate of humanity according to bible.

also its the question of when do we become human and/or capable of sin. since humans were hunter gatherers til about 10k years ago, i guess we weren't really capable of sin til we were capable of something other than avoiding starvations/getting eaten/freezing to death.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

also its the question of when do we become human and/or capable of sin. since humans were hunter gatherers til about 10k years ago, i guess we weren't really capable of sin til we were capable of something other than avoiding starvations/getting eaten/freezing to death.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe we were too busy trying to find something to eat and not be eaten to have time to invent a god.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe we were too busy trying to find something to eat and not be eaten to have time to invent a god.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't get your comment, you pretty much just restated the last part of what you quoted of my comment
Old 10-20-2007, 04:44 PM

<font color="blue"> since humans were hunter gatherers til about 10k years ago, i guess we weren't really capable of sin til we were capable of something other than avoiding starvations/getting eaten/freezing to death.
</font>

You don't think there was stealing, adultery, murder, rape, coveting, etc., just because we were hunter/gatherers? In fact, I'd submit that ALL 10 commandents were quite likely broken on a regular basis even back then.

Again, to all Christians... This may seem like a petty and silly question. But this is just one of the things that troubled me as a believer. So I ask in all earnest.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="blue"> since humans were hunter gatherers til about 10k years ago, i guess we weren't really capable of sin til we were capable of something other than avoiding starvations/getting eaten/freezing to death.
</font>

You don't think there was stealing, adultery, murder, rape, coveting, etc., just because we were hunter/gatherers? In fact, I'd submit that ALL 10 commandents were quite likely broken on a regular basis even back then.

Again, to all Christians... This may seem like a petty and silly question. But this is just one of the things that troubled me as a believer. So I ask in all earnest.

[/ QUOTE ]

i counter with this: can animals sin? were humans very different from other animals in their abilities to decide than a chimp, a gorilla, a baboon? when did humans become so different from other animals that we are to be held accountable for our actions?