Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 12:06 PM

Default Re: Flopped a set - Way ahead or get out now?

[ QUOTE ]
When four people cold call the raise before you and you are on the button, yes, of course. I seriously doubt they want you to be the first cold caller with 44 UTG+1. (especially not if you have to ask if you have to call the turn when you flopped a set)

[/ QUOTE ]
Badger - that is hardly fair. We're talking about calling the turn after it's been 3-bet. Don't know if you play live much, but a 3-bet on the turn at 4/8 even with aggro players is very rare. Bottom set doesn't look so good anymore in this spot.

FWIW - I called down. UTG player had pocket Aces. MP villain had pocket Jacks. If you take into account the BBJ, I had odds to call for my one outer, but leaving that out of the picture I was pretty sure I was beat in two places on the turn.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:32 PM

Wow maybe this is a leak in my game because everyone says to call down but my initial opinion is to fold since there is a straight out there now and a higher set. I always think pessimistic though and maybe that is why I am always missing bets on the river or folding incorrectly.
Old 09-13-2007, 04:41 PM

i'm getting a little peeved at these flush over flush over flush over flush and set over set over set posts and the ensuing discussions/resolutions [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2007, 04:41 PM

flushes and sets are both good hands regardless of bad beat posts like this where we're miraculously beaten in 19 spots.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:13 PM

Don't get peeved. The post wasn't intended to be a bad beat post. That's why I stopped the OP at the facing 2 bets on the turn point. I thought it was an interesting hand, that's all.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:30 PM

i'm being semi sarcastic, don't worry [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

it is a tough spot
Old 09-13-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Correct me if I'm wrong here guys, as I'm relatively new to fixed limit, but my gut instinct here is to raise the flop. This is a relatively draw-heavy flop that's likely to have hit a couple people and given draws to others. With 6 opponents, I think you simply must raise in this spot to charge people the maximum possible to draw against your hand. If I thought the guy on my right would definitely 3bet if I raised here, I would DEFINITELY raise. I want that guy to 3bet and charge the absolute maximum for everyone behind him who is drawing to beat me. You've flopped a fine hand here, but it's still quite vulnerable with this number of opponenets. I say let the 3bet come and charge these whackjobs for every cent possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Our small set is vulnerable to any broadway on the turn.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:34 PM

One of those hands where you are going to show down. NOt finding a fold but I think a flop raise was the way I would have gone.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:34 AM

You could be reverse dominated here but you still have to call down. IMO you played the hand right, got the maximum bets in the pot and just got a bad card on the turn.

This are the kind of pots SSHE is talking about when they say call with any pocket pair. The action you get is when you do flop a set makes up for the 7 times you call and don't.

Of course I lost most of my ass last week following that book...heh.