Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Using PA HUD for MTTs

Just wondering how you guys use PA HUD for MTTs. I've always left it the same as for the cash games I play: no filters and includes all hands played with them.

I was thinking that it might be more beneficial to filter it to the last 30-50 hands or something along those lines so that I will be able to pick up whether or not they are changing gears and to what degree. Unfiltered stats may be deceptive because of the big change in game play during the course of the tourney. Does this sound reasonable?
Old 09-08-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Re: Using PA HUD for MTTs

[ QUOTE ]
Does this sound reasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]

It does. Although you won't know if you have a big database on a player. Maybe it's better to leave it alone and change the filters when you get deeper in a tourney where style changes are more pronounced.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:20 AM

I just go with overall numbers, though this might not be the best way to go about things.

I really think this tool is invaluable, and would be interested to hear what others think is optimal to have it set for.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:32 AM

I wouldn't use the filter. You'll be able to get a idea of how they are playing in the moment from your table sense, but keeping all the hands on the HUD without filters will allow you to keep in mind the general idea of how a player plays. If you need to filter it for the last 30 hands, then you just aren't paying enough attention to the specific table imo.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just go with overall numbers, though this might not be the best way to go about things.

I really think this tool is invaluable, and would be interested to hear what others think is optimal to have it set for.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have overlapping filters based on number of players at the table (8-9, 7-8, etc). I've considered setting the filter for last x hands, but think paying attention to what's happening at the table is the only way to pick up on changes in gears due to the all the reasons this might happen (stack sizes/blind sizes, money bubble, or just because he thinks it's time). I use PAHud to gauge overall looseness/tightness and aggressiveness, as well as the other parts of his play you can get from the available stats. Since tightness and aggressiveness are often very variable based on if the table is full and when you're playing short handed is when having the best data matters most I decided to use this filter.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:43 AM

I use all hands, but I watch for large changes - like a guy starts out as a rock, but as the blinds go higher, so do his vpip/pfr/ta.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:08 AM

Thanks for the input. I guess my thoughts weren't necessarily to figure out who is loosening up because they could just be on a string of good hands. One situation I was thinking of specifically was to figure out who was tightening up around the bubble so that I could steal from them considering that it's such a short amount of time that I might not catch them before the bubble bursts.

Of course you are all right about making sure to pay attention to the table. Just wondered if it would make a difference. I'll probably stick to no filters.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:35 PM

I find its a big terrible distraction and I don't use it anymore.

Most of the time I'm playing against people I've never met before so I trust my own eyes rather than what the HUD is telling me. After one orbit you can identify the Aggromaniacs (those Gus Hanson wannabe's who pop the first raise to 10BB to see who will stand up to them), see who backs down and take note on the 'tards who bust out on Big Dumb Bluffs (BDB's)

The only value to it is the unmuck feature.

"Trust your feelings, Luke"