Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2006, 07:49 PM

Default River question

it's 6 handed game, Villan #1 in SB is somewhat of a calling station, but will let you know when he has a made hand. and villan #2 loves to pump the flop w/ draws. the main question is on the river, but i'll explain my thought process throughout the hand.

i open raise 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG+1 and the blinds call.

Flop (6sb) 3 players
Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

checked to me and i bet. SB calls, BB raises, i 3 bet, and they both call.

they way they both called my raise made me think they were both on draws. possibly both diamonds, but SB could also have a gutshot.

Turn (7.5bb) 3 players
Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]]

checked to me, i bet, both call.

i still feel i have the best hand.

River (9.5bb) 3 players
Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] [8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]]

checked to me: bet or check?

if i bet, obviously i'm only going to be called if i'm beat. so even though i was fairly sure my hand was still best on the turn, i'm wondering now if betting has merit to fold something like the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]? especially if it's in the SB's hand, since he still may fear the BB having him beat anyway.

is this remote scenario worth risking another bet on the river, or should i check it down hoping my hand is good?

thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:25 PM

Default Re: River question

The preflop play is very loose.

Based on your read I would opt to call the flop c/r and raise on the turn to get the most out of any draws and to protect what is a very weak hand. I would then check behind the river.

As played, after being called in two places on the turn I would check the river.
Old 11-27-2006, 12:45 AM

Your equity changes a lot between the flop and turn.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:11 AM

If you raise UTG and 3-bet that flop with 76s and you have played a while at the table. Im uncertain if villains would/should fold an 8.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:34 PM

I get skeered & check the river, also because I want villains to see how I'm playing if I do win.
Old 11-27-2006, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I get skeered & check the river, also because I want villains to see how I'm playing if I do win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also we don't fold out an 8
Old 11-27-2006, 04:34 PM

You had a decision to make preflop and on the flop and you made it. There is no decision on the river. This is a very clear check.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:34 PM

While I'm only a 3/6 5/10 player, I don't like this line at all and to me, the river is a different answer.

First, opening UTG with 76s... Yikes... more trouble than it is worth.

I'm ok with Flop. You hit the flop a bit and continued your preflop aggression and continued it on the turn.

If you feel that you are ahead after the turn, then why aren't you betting on the river after an 8? Do you think the 8 hit a straight? Continuing your aggression seems be the only way that you are going to win this pot. Of course, this is borderline with the calling station nature of the villian; but calling stations do fold rivers on missed draws. Not to mention that it might help you get action down the line if you showdown this hand after betting the river.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:36 PM

As long as pf is not standard for OP this is fine IMO

edit: what i mean by that is if you are going to put money into a pot with a marginal hand pf i would rather have it 1st to act. The metagame considerations of raising a hand like UTG have been discussed on here before.