Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2006, 09:51 PM

Default 4/180 End of first hour, pocket 88

I made a (somewhat) standard continuation bet and got called by both. Do I c/f here on out?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (8 handed) internettexasholdem.com

CO (t2775)
Button (t1935)
SB (t2715)
BB (t3404)
UTG (t4515)
UTG+1 (t3350)
MP1 (t3013)
Hero (t4410)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, CO calls t300, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls t250, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (t1000) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, CO calls t400, SB calls t400.

Turn: (t2200) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero...</font>
Old 09-09-2006, 10:38 PM

Default Re: 4/180 End of first hour, pocket 88

I'm still rather new, so if I say something imprecise, I'm sure it will be corrected quickly.. but this is how I see it.

PF raise looks fine. Hard to put CO or SB on a hand without some sort of read on them. Looking at your position, and the fact that everyone in front of you folded, CO/SB may be wary of a blind steal with air. So I put them on decent cards (overs at least, perhaps middle SC for CO since he does have position).

The Flop bet, however, looks kinda weak to me. You've put the pot to a point where it is actually prudent to call with a Flush Draw. I think you need to at least bet 3/4 the pot, if not make a pot sized bet. One or both of the villians could be calling your bet with a draw.

For the turn, I believe you either bet 1/2+ the pot or c/f. It really depends on your read of the players and if you think one of them has a K. The two flat calls on the flop would lead me to believe not, so I'd probably favor the 1/2 pot bet. I'd definitely fold to any raise however.

As for the river, depending on the River card and your reads, I'd tread with caution. Obviously one or both called you if you saw a river card, so either they have no concept of Pot Odds, or they have a made hand of some sort. If the SB stayed in, you may be able to SD for cheap, but if the CO stayed in, I'd c/f unless you made your set. Either way, I wouldn't lead off with too much force because at this point, it's probably just chip spewage.

Outside of that, I can't really comment since I have no idea what kind of players CO or SB are. For that matter, I don't really know what kind of player you are either.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:40 PM

Agreed, bet 600-700 on the flop. As played, you HAVE to bet this turn. If you get raised, probably dump it. Check behind on a non-king, non-eight river.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Agreed, bet 600-700 on the flop. As played, you HAVE to bet this turn. If you get raised, probably dump it. Check behind on a non-king, non-eight river.

[/ QUOTE ]